Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crossow

Rod for big heavy flies and surf

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

First post. Hello everyone. Great site, wish I had started reading it a few years ago.

I need to figure out a solution for casting bigger/heavier flies. I have a Scott X2s 10 wt. I have never been very happy with this rod but I am starting to like casting light flies on it. However with weighted flies my casting starts to fall apart. I just feel like the rod and/or my casting ability does not have the muscle needed.

To address this I am considering:

1. A switch rod. I will probably get one eventually but I am not sure how versatile they - will I still need a beefy 9ft 10wt?

2. Xi2 - I almost bought this instead of the Scott and kind of wish I had. I am sure it is faster than i can handle know but I think I would be able to master it eventually.

3. Suck it up and stick with the X2s. Maybe try over-lining it.

Any thoughts would be really helpful.

-Chris

Chris,

Your issues are with your self Sorry. A bit of cash spent on pro casting lessons is your most likely cure.

A switch rod is not the way to go. They are too long to work single handed and too short as a TH rod for the surf in my view. If you are not able to cast a big fly with a single hander you will still have probs with the TH.

The Xi2 is not your solution either. By the way the 9wt and 10 wt Xi2 are not that fast but are powerful rods.

Get your casting sorted and you can then decide which is the rod for you. No rod will give you success on its own.

Mike

View PostI have never been very happy with this rod but I am starting to like casting light flies on it.

If you've never been happy with it, you have GREAT excuse for a new rod.

However, Mike's advice is spot on. You should be able to cast weighted clousers or 12" streamers with a soft 8-weight. You may not love doing it, but you can do it. Getting some casting pointers on how to manage the rod/line/fly for different configurations will help your cast, but also help you pick the right replacement rod. Unless you're a very good caster, you'll get more bang for your buck with a casting coach.

Thanks for your replies.

I guess #3 wins. Suck it up = Learn to cast better = Take some lessons. I have a bad habit of trying to do everything on my own.

For what it's worth I forgot to mention that I have a 9ft 9wt St Croix SCIV that I have a much better time casting. I can cast weighted flies a lot easier overlined with a 10wt intermediate. But not so much big wind resistant flies.

I am still interested in a switch rod. Would it be a bad idea to be learning to cast on a 9ft and a switch at the same time? I would not be casting the switch one handed so I would be working on two different techniques.

thanks

I like my 2 handed beulah beach rod a lot. I understand that I'm throwing a line that is 2 weights over rated and the 2 handed rod is a"crutch" for poor casting form but its still makes casting large flies 100 ft a breeze for me.

To each their own I guess.

Chromedome,

Which line are you using and is it the 9/10 wt rod? That's what I was thinking of getting so that I could cast large flies 100ft while I am learning how to cast large flies 100ft.

Good afternoon.

Mate, if you want to cast big flies and you wish to cast these the easiest way possible.

Then there is only one answer.

Say hello to 10/11w 15 foot Double that HAS BEEN designed for overhead casting.

and then, never even think twice about the size of the fly you wish to cast, ever again !

Kind regards,

UB

UB,

Is right in that big powerful TH will deliver big flies if you like big powerful TH. The 10 11 wt he mentioned is not single hander 10 /11wt but Two hander deisgnated fly rod ratings. This means a TH rod of that rating is going to cast some serious metal. Hopefully UB will come back and tell us in Grain weights or grams. But roughly think in terms of a 13 or 14 wt fly line. Its the mass of these lines that helps carry out these big awkward flies.

You are still going to need casting help though.

100 feet with a big fly is still a big cast with any rod and then you have line management to think about. In practical terms Irecj=kon if I could cast 100 feet in the right conditions with a big fly then I would be happy to settle for that. Sure Guys can cast 150 feet and it muyst be impressive to see. Too easy to get carried away with teh notion of long range fly casting when it comes dwon to actual fishing especially in a lively surf with a wind in your face. It nearly always is in your face.

Rods are just tools and useless unless we learn how to use them well.

Mike

View PostChromedome,

Which line are you using and is it the 9/10 wt rod? That's what I was thinking of getting so that I could cast large flies 100ft while I am learning how to cast large flies 100ft.

I use the 9/10 and I cast the airflo beachline, I think its a 11/12 wt, the rio outbound 12 wt. I spoke to James from Beulah the other day and they are waiting for a delivery of lines designed for the surf rods.

Good morning.

Overhead casting 10/11w, with a suitable rod

couple this to,

700 grain Tungsten Dredger Head for the fastest sinking line possible that cuts through the wind with ease.

This head comes with a Forward taper, aids rollover at distance and reduces 'dumping'.

Or for a Floating Head a Rio Scandi Head in 750grains and then trim this to suit your feel and casting action. Myself, due to the use of saltwater flies, I also have now, trimmed the forward taper to enable the larger fly to turn over in the wind with a better action.

150 Foot casts, in real/under real fishing conditions with real sized flies, I 've all about them, and smile, yes of course the experts cast this far, ... everytime. smile.gif

myself, I have cast only 3 times in excess of 150feet, under fishing condition, but that was with one little 2/0 fly attached,

How I did this, I cannot understand because I cannot repeat it, no matter how hard I try.

How do I know how far I cast, my running line is marked with a waterproof marker pen, so that I know my distance each and everytime.

(this was done to be able to test casting ideas and rod design and have know distances, not just 'I know' distance.

And I cast almost every day of the year, some hours at a time.

But the 150 foot barrier is a problem, 120 to 140 foot depending on conditions is normal.

Bigger fly, less distance, is what has to be expected.

Trust I have helped and not confused,

Kind regards,

UB