Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

It's a Sunny, Pleasant Friday

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Although the fog just rolled in about 15 minutes ago, but that should be short lived, in fact it is almost gone as I was typing this. Sunny and nice for the weekend with highs in the mid 80's, with the humidity increasing as we go. Then next week, hot and humid, around 90.

So whatchya making?

Tonight is take out pizza. I really wanted to try the new Chinese place in town, but the boss nixed that saying it will be too hot for Chinese....cwm13.gif

Not much on sale this week. Tomorrow I'm gonna get rack of lamb, as Shaw's has it on sale for $7.99/lb, and that's about as cheap as it ever gets. Will have that with salad and mostly likely a baked potato.

Sunday, I dunno, will probably end up with London Broil. And both days will have local corn.

Monday is solo, and I haven't decided yet. Might smoke up some ribs if I can find them cheap. If not, maybe a ton of mussels and clams either steamed in white wine and garlic or in marinara sauce.

Rest of the week will be tough, as I have run out of hot weather meal ideas. Perhaps I will make some chicken salad for sandwiches one night. I'm out of fish, and won't be going fishing until at least Thursday, so if we want that, it will have to be store bought....many places have fresh Coho salmon, so maybe. And the third night, we'll see what Donna dreams up.

What are YOU making?

Getting ready to dig a peck of steamers for a starter tonight. Going to get 2 nice 1.5lb lobsters to go with some organic ribeyes from wolf neck farms. Going to make garlic horseradish smashed red taters, with string beans and baby carrots orange and purple. Everything grown right in my garden except the steak,lobsters and clams of course smile.gif

Skinny - how is the red tide doing up there? Are more areas being opened?

I ask cause steamers are still quite expensive here....I had to laugh cause Fresh Catch advertised them "on sale" this week for $3.99/lb......that is hardly a sale (although better than the $4.99 they have been getting lately), and still too rich for my blood.

How is it too hot for Chinese but not too hot for hot Pizza? If I can find some of that rack of lamb I might have to treat myselfsmile.gif Braised checken legs are on my menu tonight but might flake out on that for a steak or rack of lamb.

I won't have the time tonight so I did my Friday cooking last night.

Scrod with oreganato breadcrumbs, rigatoni marinara, stuffed mushrooms, and fresh string beans steamed, and tossed with butter and garlic.drool.gifdrool.gif

I usually do this in the oven/broiler, but I didn't want to heat up the kitchen so I baked the fish and stuffed mushrooms, cooked the pasta and steamed the beans outside on the gas grill. All I did on the kitchen stovetop was reduce the pasta sauce, and sauté the garlic and fresh tomatoes.

The Beans:

After work, I walked into the garden and found my Kentucky Wonders were dripping with beans. I picked about a pound and cleaned them for a quick steaming. While I was out there, I grabbed a big handful of parsley and another of basil and 2 Virginia Sweet tomatoes. I chopped 6 or 7 cloves of garlic to sauté with a little butter. I reserved about 2 tablespoons of the garlic for the beans which would be quickly steamed, drained and tossed with melted butter, the sautéed garlic, and a little salt and pepper.

I put a pot of water on the sideburner for pasta, and opened a jar of Victoria Toamato/basil sauce (I know, I know, sauce in a jar is a travesty, but this stuff is really good) and put it in a small pot to cook down a bit.

The scrod:

At lunchtime, I saw that my local Shop Rite had wild caught, fresh Alaskan scrod on sale so I picked up 2 1/4 lbs of fillets. They were washed and dried and cut up into portions. I fired up the gas grill and placed the thick shoulder pieces of the fillets onto a greased baking sheet and threw them in. While they were starting to cook, I melted 2 tablespoons of butter in a sauté pan and added the minced garlic to soften and sweeten it a bit. Then I added the chopped Virginia Sweets to the pan to sauce them down a little for about 2 or 3 minutes. While this was happening, I chopped the parsley, sliced the basil and set it aside. About this time, I added the rest of the fillets to the grill as well. When the fish was about half cooked, I spooned the tomato/garlic sauce onto the fillets and topped them with sliced basil and a layer of fresh breadcrumbs that I had moistened with olive oil and tossed with dried oregano and the fresh parsley. I crusted each filet about 1/2" thick. While the fish finished cooking and the crust began to brown off, I dropped the pasta and began steaming the beans.

The mushrooms:

I had roasted a batch of stuffed jalapenos last weekend and I had a pile of sausage stuffing leftover so I stuffed 8 large white mushroom caps, put a dab of butter on the top of each one and threw them into the gas grill (on a sheet of aluminum foil) next to the fish. I normally would not have bothered with these on a weeknight, but like I said, I already had the stuffing made so it was too easy to pass up

With the pasta al dente, I drained it and tossed it with the sauce,

I quickly retrieved the fish and plated the fillets next to the beans with a few lemon wedges. I dusted the stuffed mushrooms with a bit of grated Locatelli and put them out on serving dish so the wife and son could help themselves.

My son HATES mushrooms any other way, but he scarfs them down when they are stuffed and broiled. Go figure....

Hope you all have a delicious Friday night and a great weekend!!

Digger

View PostHow is it too hot for Chinese but not too hot for hot Pizza?

Got me, Reed......was my thought exactly....confused.gif....in fact, Chinese doesn't require the oven after I pick it up, whereas even with take-out pizza, she turns it on to warm up the second and third slices.....

But as I said, she is the boss, (or at least I let her think she is.....wink.gif)

View PostGot me, Reed......was my thought exactly....confused.gif....in fact, Chinese doesn't require the oven after I pick it up, whereas even with take-out pizza, she turns it on to warm up the second and third slices.....

But as I said, she is the boss, (or at least I let her think she is.....wink.gif)

Too hot for chinese aka I want pizza not chinese haha

to the op, try picking up a nice section of london broil, or a nice to round.

grab some cider vinegar, pure cane sugar, some salt pepper and garlic powder. dissolve the salt, pepper, sugar, and garlic powder into the vinegar, then marinate the meat in that. once complete, grab an injector(like a syringe on steroids) and inject the mixture into the meat.

get your grill as hot as possible and preheat your oven to about 300.

out the meat on the grill untill the outside is nicely seared(just trurning black in a few places. Charcoal is best for flavor on this step.)

once seared, stick it in the oven untill the internal temp is around 110-115. this is gonna be nice and rare.

cook off some mushrooms, and onions (insert favorite cooking beer here)in the juice of the beef, then blend this into some nice soft mashed potatoes.

mmmm mmmmmm good

View PostToo hot for chinese aka I want pizza not chinese haha

More like, too hot for chinese, FU I am not letting you get what you want. I AM THE BOSS. smile.gif

View Postto the op, try picking up a nice section of london broil, or a nice to round.

grab some cider vinegar, pure cane sugar, some salt pepper and garlic powder. dissolve the salt, pepper, sugar, and garlic powder into the vinegar, then marinate the meat in that. once complete, grab an injector(like a syringe on steroids) and inject the mixture into the meat.

get your grill as hot as possible and preheat your oven to about 300.

out the meat on the grill untill the outside is nicely seared(just trurning black in a few places. Charcoal is best for flavor on this step.)

once seared, stick it in the oven untill the internal temp is around 110-115. this is gonna be nice and rare.

cook off some mushrooms, and onions (insert favorite cooking beer here)in the juice of the beef, then blend this into some nice soft mashed potatoes.

mmmm mmmmmm good

Thanks for the input, but....

I have London Broil down pat.......and no oven needed.....

Shoulder Chuck Steak (Top Round for London Broil sucks), Adolph's marinade using red wine instead of the water they say to use, pound the shoulder a bit, pierce it all over, marinate for about 20 minutes, put it on a hot grill, and cook about 7 minutes a side, flipping twice, and basting with the marinade on each flip.

Let it rest for about 5 minutes, cut across the grain in thin slices and you have rare heaven cooked to about 115 throughout........and for two people plus some leftovers, it cost abouts $5-$6, $3-$4 if it happens to be on sale................wink.gif

sliders and oven fries last night and for Saturday ... T-BONES... over tlbs a piece. Got two for the family and we will all eat on it.. Add some baked Potato's with all the fixins...

Sunday is Trying my hand at an Asian dish..

View PostSkinny - how is the red tide doing up there? Are more areas being opened?

I ask cause steamers are still quite expensive here....I had to laugh cause Fresh Catch advertised them "on sale" this week for $3.99/lb......that is hardly a sale (although better than the $4.99 they have been getting lately), and still too rich for my blood.

Aug 6th they opened back up here and I hope it stays that way. I can dig one peck a day on my recreational license. More then enough to keep me and my family happy beers.gif Dinner was great last night although she changed her mind last minute and instead of green beans we had beet greens smile.gif

View PostAug 6th they opened back up here and I hope it stays that way. I can dig one peck a day on my recreational license. More then enough to keep me and my family happy beers.gif Dinner was great last night although she changed her mind last minute and instead of green beans we had beet greens smile.gif

Cool.....I hope it stays that way too so we see prices come down by me......I guess it will also depend on how the red tide closures are in Mass...while my "go to" place gets them from Maine, am sure that closures in Mass would have an overall effect on the supply and what my place charges.