Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoshR

Montauk Walking Stick?????

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

fishing the rocks on the south side, at night, and incoming tide... So i am sure most of you know how rocky the walk is from the shore to the fishing rock of your choice.. well i try to get out to the rock when there is at least some light, and being able to see the bottom while you walk makes a huge difference navigating rocks.. but when the tide is coming in and its time to get off the rock.. the water is deeper and its darker outside.. you can't see the bottom.. needless to say i'm sure you all know the fun walk back to the sore trippng over the rocky bottom that you now can't see.

Does anyone usue a walking stick of any sort? I know my father inlaw uses his rod.. he has a VS so is not worried about submerging it.. he takes his time.. feeling his path with the but of his rod and he seems to struggle much less then I.. me..not havng a VS try to keep my rod/reel out of the water.. i try to walk slow and feel around with my feet before i commit to a step.. but then waves hitting you in the back.. knocking you off balance..

I was thinking of more or less making a walking stick.. tieing a rope to it and wearing it like a sash behind my back while fishing.. then just taking it offf and using it as a walking stick for this fun treck.. does anyone do anything like this or have any other suggestions?

6a00d834523ea169e201156fbf549a970c-800wi

View PostI always use my rod. Another plus of a VS!biggrin.gif

Try this - Goggle "Collapsible Wading Staff"cwm40.gif

thanks.. i tried some searches .. but didn't think of looking specifically for a wading staff.. or collapsable.. i was just looking for different walking sticks..

but first site that came up now.. Cabelas.. Collapsible waiding staff.. thanks..

anyone use this?

I use a collapsible wading staff when I fly rod the rocks at Montauk. Rest of the time, I'll use my surf rod w/ a VS redface.gif. The wading staff will definitely help you get around. the collapsible one is great, because it folds up out of you way when you are fishing. Pull it out of the sheath with one hand, and it's ready to go. No fumbling around.

I use a ski pole that is attached to my belt by a scuba diving retractor so the pole is right next to my belt in in the same location and the retractor snaps it back to the belt when you let go of the pole. When your 55 you need some help.

Since I had my back operation last year, I had to resort to using a wading staff on the rockier beaches. I picked up a Falstaff staff and use it whenever I don't feel that steady. It works great although a little tough to get apart at times.

I use a collapsable wading staff, makes life much easier. Biggest problem with the VS wading staff is smacking it on the rocks . $600 reel as a wader doesn't work for me.smile.gif JP

I thought all of those people using their rods as a walking stick were crazy. Who has such bad balance that you need a walking stick?

A year later, I find myself out in M on the south side with 4'-6'ers rolling in getting all banged around and unable to find a safe spot to step and unable to cast to fishable water from where I was standing. I needed to get out to one of those rocks! I reasoned, I've spent all of this $$ for a reel with waterproof drag, why not take advantage of it. What a difference! I will never hesitate to use my rod as a walking stick again.