Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TF3

Best scale

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have a 50lb Rapala digital scale that I really like it is always accurate and the 9 volt last forever still got the orignal one in. It aslo has a background light for nightime fishing. I use mine all the time for carp and catties and it does me well. I think it was $19.99 or $14.99 not sure but it is worth it

BogaGrip's are awesome and accurate. I have been using my 50# Boga for setting the drags on our offshore reels. It works 100% better than the Shimano scale I had been using.

John

View PostFrom a boat are the shore? What is the max range weight that you need?

Garage actually. It's for SJ Stripes so probably won't need more than 15#redface.gif , but should go at least 50-60#

I have a boga, but this is for a fall tournament I'm involved in and I need larger, more accurate increments. It doesn't have to be digital, but not out of the question. I can go up to about $100

View PostFor 100 bucks you might want to look into renting a scale. I actually think a bathroom scale would be more accurate than a handscale that is non-digital.....

Manleys and Chatillions are accurate enough to be pre-certified by the IGFA.

"Manleys and Chatillions are accurate enough to be pre-certified by the IGFA."

I think Boga grips can also be IGFA certified. The problem I see with a drop scale like that is the scale itself can be accurate as hell but because it's a visual readout it leaves room for error. With a digital readout you shouldn't have anyone bickering about ounces and such.....

John

I find Bogas very difficult to read. Although built like a tank, bogas are not user friendly when it comes to reading the poorly-detailed weight markings. Surprising they didn't get this right.

View PostI find Bogas very difficult to read. Although built like a tank, bogas are not user friendly when it comes to reading the poorly-detailed weight markings. Surprising they didn't get this right.

Agreed!!

View PostAgreed Bogas are hard to read, however a boga is well worth the money, and you wont have to replace it every few years.

Chatillion's are hard to read too, but what I want to know is who's going to have the strength to lift a big fish high enough to read any scale without the tail hitting the ground? kooky.gif

Any of the digital scales I've tried - Rapala, Berkley, etc - have all been wildly inaccurate. You can get an idea of how inaccurate by weighing the same fish 5 times, right in a row - when the same fish weighs anywhere from 18# to 21# you can be pretty certain that the scale is a piece of crap icon14.gif

The only thing digital scales in that $20-$50 price range are good for is letting people pick how much they want their fish to weigh cwm27.gif A Boga or Chatillion scale is the way to go - if you can't read them while hanging stationary in your garage, you might need to change your glasses HappyWave.gif

TimS

View PostChatillion's are hard to read too, but what I want to know is who's going to have the strength to lift a big fish high enough to read any scale without the tail hitting the ground? kooky.gif

The biggest boga is the 60# model - if that's too heavy, hang it on a branch smile.gif

TimS