Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John O'

Crawfish

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Today may be the day I get my first taste of it. smile.gif

I know it's not going to be the fresh, down home, southern crawdaddy loved and boasted about by many good folks here who've had it the way it should be, but it'll have to do, for now. biggrin.gif

I'l let ya'all know how it was. wink.gif

I had them at the Barking Crab on Thursday. smile.gif

In general, I really liked them, although they were kinda small and I think the restuarant went overboard on the Old Bay seasoning, it overwhelmed the underlying flavor of the fish, which was very good, some of the bugs were not as seasoned and were much better than the others. I would definitely have them again, but home made at home on a newspaper covered table steamed with much less seasoning, probably just a dash, along with a bucket of ice-cold beers and some other seafood like maybe shrimp and crab. drool.gif

My wife is very fussy and wouldn't even try them, but my 15 year old daughter and I went to town on the leftovers that night. highfive.gif

Fresh crawfish are delicious. The problem is that they lose about 90% of their flavor when frozen. If what you're getting are fresh then you'll probably love them. If frozen you may be disappointed.

They have a very delicate flavor, sort of like a lobster without the salt, Go easy on the spices.

Glad you found some and enjoyed them. I could tell that you had a real jones goin' to try them cwm27.gif

A traditional crawfish boil uses whole live crawfish and whole shrimp with the heads on. This allows for plenty of spice to get all into the corn, potatoes, sausage etc, but the whole shellfish are sealed and most of the spice is stuck to your fingers when you are shelling the little beasties. It serves to get more of the spice on your lips rather than your tongue and it doesn't alter the flavor of the meat as much as if you used cleaned shrimp tails. One of the keys to a great boil is getting the steep time right so you get all the great flavors without overcooking or overspicing the delicate seafood. drool.gifdrool.gifdrool.gif

I'm gonna do another boil come Labor Day.biggrin.gif

Mmmm.. crawfish.

I had the pleasure of enjoying a proper crawfish boil down in Arkansas this past June. I must say, being a Jersey native currently living in Maine, blue crabs are still my fav. Second to that is crawfish, no doubt... it is not far behind! Lobsters aren't bad, but I would gladly swap a crate for a bushel of crabs or crawfish.

I did spend some time asking the caterers of the boil their secrets. They use "Louisianna Cajun Boil" spice mix. It is owned by Zatarans, so up here a Zataran's zersion may be easier to find. To make the spicy version, they would boil the crawish with the spice, then after draining them, top coat them with a little more. drool.gif No idea about the boil time unfortunately.

I'm telling you guys, this stuff was magnificent. Got to feed the leftovers to alligator gar as well!

Bingo! Boston Globe gave a glowing review of Brother's Crawfish locatted about a mile from my house. It's a restaurant owned by a couple of Vietnamese brothers who have them shipped in overnight from Louisiana, I can hardly wait. drool.gif

thats funny John, I just read that article, online, about an hour ago...I'm going to head up and give it a shot, barring you going and reporting back negatively...

View PostI had them at the Barking Crab on Thursday. smile.gif

In general, I really liked them, although they were kinda small and I think the restuarant went overboard on the Old Bay seasoning, it overwhelmed the underlying flavor of the fish, which was very good, some of the bugs were not as seasoned and were much better than the others. I would definitely have them again, but home made at home on a newspaper covered table steamed with much less seasoning, probably just a dash, along with a bucket of ice-cold beers and some other seafood like maybe shrimp and crab. drool.gif

My wife is very fussy and wouldn't even try them, but my 15 year old daughter and I went to town on the leftovers that night. highfive.gif

Crawfish HAVE to be fresh. The get fishy in about 26 hours. When the tails are boiled and frozen-blecch.

They really are great when fresh.

View Postthats funny John, I just read that article, online, about an hour ago...I'm going to head up and give it a shot, barring you going and reporting back negatively...

You'll probably beat me there, tonight is leftovers, I have a time to go to at Florian Hall tomorrow night, and a First Communion on Saturday. Maybe Sunday with the weather looking lousy would be a good day for some good ol' cajun crawdads. I'm not sure if they serve alcohol but I'm guessing a cold beer will enhance the dining experience. drool.gif

View PostI had them at the Barking Crab on Thursday. smile.gif

had them at the barking crab last time i was in boston i was kinda dissapointed

View Posthad them at the barking crab last time i was in boston i was kinda dissapointed

Yeah, I'm hoping this new place will be much better than the Barking Crab.

View PostBingo! Boston Globe gave a glowing review of Brother's Crawfish locatted about a mile from my house. It's a restaurant owned by a couple of Vietnamese brothers who have them shipped in overnight from Louisiana, I can hardly wait. drool.gif

that should be way better than the pre-cooked frozen stuff i assumed they would serve

FWIW, a guy i used to work with put minnow traps in a manmade, spring fed, stone lined pond with an eye towerds getting some bait for LMB

he got 500 a night until they ran him off

i'll bet you could catch your own if you put your mind to it

View PostBingo! Boston Globe gave a glowing review of Brother's Crawfish locatted about a mile from my house. It's a restaurant owned by a couple of Vietnamese brothers who have them shipped in overnight from Louisiana, I can hardly wait. drool.gif

I saw that, please let us know how it is. boat goes in next week so I'll be down your way more often. I also heard about some BBQ place in lower mills that is supposed to be good....

Funny this should come up now.

I'm about to place and order for 20 lbs of live crawfish from the cajun grocer down in Louisiana. Not for this weekend cause we have the Cleanup Fling this weekend, but for next Saturday drool.gif

Digger