Followers 0
Halibooty

TICA UEHA Series Graphite Surf Rod

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

TICA UEHA Series Graphite Surf Rod

9' MH 12-30lb 2-6oz $80

10'6'' H 12-30lb 2-8oz $106

I will start of by saying thanks in advance for any advice given. How well will either of these pair up with a Penn Sargus 4000 or Shimano Baitrunner 4500. Would these rods be too heavy for throwing plugs in the range of 1 ~ 2 1/2? Would I be able to use them for both light and heavy plugging? Will I be able to satisy both plugging and bait fishing with the 10'6''? (<----I would love that) I have done nothing but bait fishing and would like to consider giving lures a shot. I believe they would be too heavy for light plugging, but heard that many rods are either underrated or overrated and thought I would ask. Does anyone have any knowledge on how accurate the rating are on these rods? I will be fishing the Pacific Coast surf and San Francisco Bay. Thanks.

Go with the Sargus 5000.The Tica 2 to 6 is a no,no for your aplication.Check out te 9 foot St.Croix Triumph.Youll get a hell of a rod with an honest 5 year warranty for around 100 bucks

The 10'6'' H 12-30lb 2-8oz matches up nicely with the BR4500, but not for throwing those light lures, as the rod doesn't load correctly until you get to about 3 ounces. I use that exact set-up for jigging the Cape Cod Canal, but I am throwing 3-5 ounces there.

It also make a good chunking combo.

Spend a little more for the Dolphin series rod from Tica.

If you go with the UEHA, get a new tip guide put on it. One of the local shops here that sells Tica rods installs a free new Hardaloy tip guide on every UEHA rod before it leaves the store.

View PostSpend a little more for the Dolphin series rod from Tica.

If you go with the UEHA, get a new tip guide put on it. One of the local shops here that sells Tica rods installs a free new Hardaloy tip guide on every UEHA rod before it leaves the store.

What he said.............although I was under the impression that the Dolphin Series was the same blank, just with the better guides......guess not?

And yes, I bought mine at said shop, although back then he didn't replace the tip (until it became an issue 8 months later, then he did it gratis...icon14.gif )

View PostSpend a little more for the Dolphin series rod from Tica.

i ponied up $8 (i think) and splurged for a SiC tip from said shop...highfive.gif

the UEHA is definitely too heavy for pluggin under 2ounces...my opinion is that its a great jiggin/bait stick but too heavy for pluggin...

View PostGo with the Sargus 5000.The Tica 2 to 6 is a no,no for your aplication.Check out te 9 foot St.Croix Triumph.Youll get a hell of a rod with an honest 5 year warranty for around 100 bucks

I have the 9' Tica and I would have to agree. Too heavy for the lighter plugs but is real nice for the heavier ones. Also agree about the 9' St. Croix Triumph. Going to try and pick one up real soon.

Didn't know that about the tips on the Tica. What exactly is the issue?

View Post

the UEHA is definitely too heavy for pluggin under 2ounces...my opinion is that its a great jiggin/bait stick but too heavy for pluggin...

You CAN get away with it throwing 2 ounces AVAs or other similiar streamlined metal, in fact, it can cast them a mile. But for wooden or plastic plugs under 3 ounces, ain't gonna work. It can toss certain pencil poppers well, but it isn't exactly the best rod for working a pencil.

I see you're in the bay area. Why not get the 9' M UEHA rod which is rated 1/2-3 oz. If you're willing to drive down to SJ, stop by Fishery Supply and it's under $60(maybe more now but was only $58 2yrs ago for my friend).

Sargus 4000 on the 9' M UEHA. 4500B on the 10' 6".

View PostBraid tends to groove them fairly quickly.

That, and the guides on the older Ticas also had a problem of the ceramic rings popping out for no apparent reason. On mine, the tip has been replaced, and also the second and third one down, with Fuji guides. The rest have been okay, so far, after about 5 years.......

Forgot all of the choices that everyone has mentioned with exception of the St. Croix.

Your best $100 rod is the dblue 904mH. TC4 rod blanks, super sensitive and you can it loads properly with 1.5 to 2.5 oz. The rod is rated for 1-4oz. For bait, I've loaded it up with 4 oz with a high/low and a whole chovy. It just fine. Biggest thing I've landed with it is a 50+ lb bat ray off of emeryville.

www.************.com

I fish in the SF bay too. The dblue has a very fast action so its quite stiff. Good for certain types of plugs, but you may want to invest in a fiberglass rod that has a more parabolic bend for other applications.

the dblue mates well with a 4000 or 5000 spinner and 20lb fireline. I can hit 100+ yards easy with 1.5oz hairaiser using unitech or OTG cast.

Thanks everyone.

This is exsactly the advice I'm looking for.

The more I look, the more choices I have to make...

Anyone ever dealt with "Harleerod"? No tax, no shipping, 20% off $200 purchase and the prices seem fair. Seems like my best bet, the only thing is they seem to have a limited amount of products mostly Tsunami Trophy and Airwave Surf rods. Was thinking about ordering 3 trophy rods putting me over the $200 mark and saving the 20% and then selling one off, or ordering 1 trophy rod (bait) and 1 airwave (plugging) and keeping both.

I am now going to pour out my true feeling...

I've been keeping myself on a very tight budget so far, new Penn Sargus 4000$75, near new Baitrunner 4500A $60, near new 6500A $60, used 12' Alpha Shakespeare $20 (to work out my forearms), near new 8'6'' Shimano Scimitar $20. The sargus 4000 spooled with 50lb braid on the 8'6'' has performed quite well and has caught me MANY batrays over 50lbs, leopard sharks 3ft+ (Sierra Pt. Parkway), and everything else from stripers to halibut off piers in the bay. When the sardines and mackeral were plentyful in the bay, striper and halibut action was great, but I had to rely on my 8'6'' Scimitar for live baiting, it did the job but felt like I needed something that was better suited. I'm tired of using my 8'6'' for everything from throwing 5/8 bucktails, to throwing weight + bait live/dead. Roaming SOL for a short time and reading about G Loomis, Lamiglass, St. Croix, etc... has made me consider upgrading from my 12' alpha shakespeare ($20) to a Tsunami or TICA. I just feel like enough time has passed and enough fish has been caught for me to consider upgrading to better tackle. Just to mention, I am a unemployed student at the moment.

Raider73, my friend has mentioned about a B&T shop down in San Jose, so I'll try to stop by there on my way to Dave & Busters! beers.gif