Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boostjunkie1

My 08 Dodge Maiden Voyage on the Sand

21 posts in this topic

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4, 2" Leveling Kit,, Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels and Nitto Terra Grappler 295/70/17 Tires.

smile.gif ------- Just installed the CURT front hitch last week and got to get the truck out on the beach for the first time. The Wife, Daughter and I went to Ocracoke Island, NC this past weekend. Had a great time! We caught allot of small surf fish (Bait Nabbers) but had fun doing it. The truck did great in 4 HI. I did not even lower the tire pressure because the drive from the North End to the Lodge was like 12 Miles and I have no on board air. Had to pull 2 cars out of the loose sand on the side of the road over the time I was there beatin.gif ...... FWD Cars and sand do not mix kooky.gif ......

Looking forward to hitting Portsmouth Island and Davis here in Sept / Oct / and early Nov drool.gif

View PostAttachment 268169

The truck did great in 4 HI. I did not even lower the tire pressure because the drive from the North End to the Lodge was like 12 Miles and I have no on board air. drool.gif

Not airing down will cause more wear and tear on the truck regardless of how far you drive.

Your truck will run much better/cooler when aired down. Especially the tranny.

How far would you have to drive to air back up?

Chris

12 miles at the most....... I am looking at getting a on board air tank set-up installed before I go back to Ocracoke.... The rest of the outer banks trips will be 25psi as soon as I get off the Ferry and air back up once back on the main land.... My driving on Ocracoke on the beach was no more then a half a mile at the most....

i will play devils advocate. for a second. airing down is meant to increase the surface area of the tire that makes contact with the sand. his tires are 295mm wide (~13") much wider than stock (i think...and almost sure of). by not airing down, he is getting more area (with the wider tire), just not the flat spot (which does help fore sure). but on a tire that wide, id think it would make up for a stock tire on the same vehicle aired down. my tires are stock width, but a tad taller than stock, and though the truck drives better on sand aired down, i think its an ok move to leave them loaded. if they start to dive, you can always air down and get the floation and traction that is needed. i have a tacoma, and with my tires being 265mm wide, and 32" tall, it performs ok in the sand fully inflated. ive seen many heavier vehicles (mostly SUVS) with narrower tires (aired down) in the sand and there is no difference in capabiltiy.

i will also say that given the cost of the vehicle and ease that which it can get lost to the surf, if you can air down, why not, reguardless of tires size.

View Postthere is an air pump at tradewinds tackle on the left before you get into town.

Yes, but TradeWinds Tackle is 12 miles from where I leave the beach and head back south/west on HWY 12 to get to it........The truck did great on the beach compared to many different vehicles I have driven on the beach over the past 10 years.

** I agree that if your truck or suv comes with skinny tires airing down is a must. My tires are pretty wide and do great. When I go out on Davis and Potsmouth Islands this Fall I will be sure to air down to 20 psi to insure that I do not get stuck.....(hopefully)!!!!

View PostI own a 07 Ram. Did you have to cut the front air dam to get the Curt hitch to fit?

Just in case the OP doesn't respond, a number of the online hitch vendor sites will have pdf's of installation instructions including any need to customize air dams, etc. I installed a Curt on the front of my Sequoia, much easier, with no dam cutting, than the unit I put on my old Expedition. I forget the Expy brand but it wasn't Curt. They make a nice product.

Just checked, appears there's some hole drilling required on your Ram regardless of the hitch brand but no dam cutting. boostjunkie will know best.

I have an 08 dodge 1500 also and would love to hear about the front hitch install. when I got my truck in march 08 I did some looking and no one had a front hitch for the truck yet.

On the 06 and Newer 1500's you will have to take a small section out of the front valance. Mark your Center.... Then a Exacto knife will go through it like butter. Really clean look and you cannot even see the hitch face unless you are looking for it. ** Each attachment bracket has 3 holes that you WILL have to drill into the lower portion of the front frame. You also have to drill a 1 1/2" access hole to install your bolts. The installation is very easy and with 2 people can be done in 30 minutes. A Dewalt 18V battery drill, 1.5" hole saw, 1/8" bit to a 1/4" to a 1/2" bit for your marked holes. Once you get the holes drilled take a shop vac and remove all of the debris. Hit the frame with a coat of black paint to cover the bare metal. Having a floor jack to rest the hitch on while installing the nuts on the bolts makes life allot easier.

** You only have to take 3/4 of a inch out of the lower valance/air-dam

View Posti will play devils advocate. for a second. airing down is meant to increase the surface area of the tire that makes contact with the sand. his tires are 295mm wide (~13") much wider than stock (i think...and almost sure of). by not airing down, he is getting more area (with the wider tire), just not the flat spot (which does help fore sure). but on a tire that wide, id think it would make up for a stock tire on the same vehicle aired down. my tires are stock width, but a tad taller than stock, and though the truck drives better on sand aired down, i think its an ok move to leave them loaded. if they start to dive, you can always air down and get the floation and traction that is needed. i have a tacoma, and with my tires being 265mm wide, and 32" tall, it performs ok in the sand fully inflated. ive seen many heavier vehicles (mostly SUVS) with narrower tires (aired down) in the sand and there is no difference in capabiltiy.

i will also say that given the cost of the vehicle and ease that which it can get lost to the surf, if you can air down, why not, reguardless of tires size.

I think the length of the contact patch. is more important than the width of the contact area. You can have contact patch that is 20 inches wide but if its 2 inches long, you will probably get stuck. On the other hand, if your contact patch is 20 inches long, but 2 inches wide, you will probably still keep on moving. Think about tanks and cranes.

I think that length and width do come into play. I agree that even with the wide tires I should air down to increase my contact patch. Tanks and Cranes have tracks that allow for a HUGE contact patch + weight distribution.......