Fishing @ Satellite beach on the east coast

Rate this topic

cadchuck429

Snook and tarpon. Satellite has some rocks, so watch the tides. I'm adding some low tide pics so you can see what you're fishing. Small 3"-4" swimbaits have been the way to go the last few weeks(use 40-50lb flouro shock). Cast parallel to the beach, and keep your casts relatively short. Use a slow/steady retrieve. Snook have been averaging 7-12lbs, but my friend Dan caught one that was 44" this morning.

IMG_03771-1.jpg

IMG_03741-2.jpg

"Talent does what it can, genius does what it has to"

View PostThanks for the tip. I'm very aware of the rocks got caught many times. I'll be out there tomorrow afternoon there's a high tide at 4:00 PM. I usually go 2 hours before high tide and two hours after.

I was there today from noon- 2pm, I saw no bait, and no tarpon, but I did catch a few short snook. The water is too clear for what I do right now. I think your best bet would be to freeline a 12" mullet out past the 2nd trough.

Guys in my area use alot of big gear. 11ft Lami's w/ 310GTI's and 16lb mono. That doesn't mean you can't do the job with lighter gear. Let your bait swim out about 200', then just let it sit. If you think your bait is too big, it probably isn't big enough. Seriously, drive over to the Banana river off South Patrick and cast net a couple mullet that are 12"-14" minimum. Don't try to cast them, just pitch them into the surf and let them swim off.

I've been wanting to get into some beach fishing but my buddy seems to think it's a waist of time, since we've both tried it a few times and haven't caught anything. The only fishing we've done from the beach has been for live bait.

I'm interested in what times and tides are best for the patrick satellite area? I don't need coordinates or anything just a little guidance.

HOLY CRAP!!! the sky has fallen...local66 told someone to use live baitcwm31.gif (JK)...My live bait setup....

if you are going to fish during the middle of the day

and in clean water get yourself some 40lb fluocarbon leader (not line)...

make at least a 4ft leader...snell on a circle hook and tie your leader to

your mainline with a line to line knot like a uni-knot...

forget the swivels...the less you use the more bites you will get...if you cant

get any mullets go to the baitshop and get a dozen live large pinfish....

place the hook next to his anal not too deep into him....

Like local said....just pitch it out there....there is no need for a long cast the

snook will be super close and more than likely next to those rocks..

Oh the reason for the hook placement...if you give him a little pressure he will swim away from you....

try to keep him at a angle away from you...to your left or right but not in front of you...

if you see a shadow...coming towards you.. bent down!!! open up the bail

and let him take it...

give him some line close the bail and reel in hard...NO Pulling...that why you

are using a circle hookhighfive.gif

i like fishing a raising tide at sunrise..and i fish the whole tide

that two hrs before and after doesnt apply to snookbiggrin.gif

because you just never know when they will turn on...but moving water is

good thing

Good luck....

Semper Fi > Always Faithful
"Everytime History repeats itself, the price of the lesson goes up"

View PostI've been wanting to get into some beach fishing but my buddy seems to think it's a waist of time, since we've both tried it a few times and haven't caught anything. The only fishing we've done from the beach has been for live bait.

I'm interested in what times and tides are best for the patrick satellite area? I don't need coordinates or anything just a little guidance.

It depends on what you're looking to catch. Snook are a little easier to target in low-light conditions, early am/late pm or on overcast days. They like to sit in the first trough and ambush bait, so targeting them at low tide is kinda pointless. Just walk the beach, if there are fish feeding they'll be easy to spot. There's a learning curve just like anything else, don't expect instant gratification.

View PostYeah I just need to put the time in.... You ever hook into any Tarpon on Swimmers or live bait out there?

If you see tarpon on the beach, they're there because they're hungry. They'll eat just about anything you put in front of them. 60-80lb flouro is mandatory.

Fishing was not good this past weekend. Water was rough and there was a lot of seaweed. Went out both Saturday and Sunday caught the late afternoon tides. I did have one exciting moment I had my pole in the sand spike with a whole frozen mullet just soaking out their all of a sudden my pole bent pretty good buy the time I lifted it from the sand spike the line snapped. Not sure what it was. But thanks again for all of your advice hope to get back out there in about month. Chuck