Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NYC Esq

Bunker question

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I tried using the search function, but I couldn't find anything relevant. Sorry if I sound naive, but I am trying to learn as much as possible. My local B & T sells fresh bunker, but I do most of my fishing in the early morning hours...a few hours before the B & T opens. If I buy the bunker at 9 PM, what's the best way to keep it fresh, until 4 or 5 AM? Should I just keep it iced?

BTW, this is a great website. I really appreciate how much people are helping one another out. biggrin.gif

Keep them on ice and out of the water in the cooler. Place each bait in a plastic bag and try not stack baits on top of each other. The goal here is not to squish them.

Esquid -

What Nikoli said... ice is fine, just keep the baits out of the melt water. If possible use a separate cooler rather than the one for your lunch. drinks, etc. and try to dedicate it for bait only. wink.gif

Hooky wink.gif

I like bagging them because I think it keeps the slime on them better. The course ice will remove the slime if the cooler is moving around and they are moving around in the cooler. I am working from a boat so your mileage may vary.

Another good tip is to get to the B&T when they get the delivery or as soon as possible after. Some B&T's keep the bait in a cooler in the store and don't drain the water this kills the bait.