Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tommyt

Braid or mono?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Looking to throw mostly clam on a 10' spinning rod with a rating up to 4oz. Would i be better of spooling up with braid or Mono, and what lb test should i go with?

If you're going to dead-stick it, I think mono would suffice. I like 20lb. Ande Backcountry as sort of an all-purpose mono, including for soaking clams. If not dead-sticking, then I'd lean toward braid. If using braid, given the relative "thinness" of braid vis a vis mono, you have somewhat more flexibility in choosing a line strength. For me, if braid is too thin it just gets too difficult to handle with my clumsy fingers.

the learning curve on braid is steep at first vs mono which is crank and go if your reel dosen't pack the line on evenly your asking for trouble with a capital T my 12 dollar daiwa sweepfire packs on better "evenly" than my friends 80 dollar shimano

View Postthe learning curve on braid is steep at first vs mono which is crank and go if your reel dosen't pack the line on evenly your asking for trouble with a capital T my 12 dollar daiwa sweepfire packs on better "evenly" than my friends 80 dollar shimano

uhh. first off. what daiwa reel is only 12 dollars? and second, your friends shimano must not be setup right. I have seen many people with Shimanos that didn't put in the "spacers" (or whatever they are called by them at Shimano) and they dont lay right. Shimano and Abu are bascally, with a few reels laying around that are exempt because they are hardly ever used, the only two brands I own. I have never had a problem with either. I want to get an Accurate and an Avet to test out though too. Soon as the cash flow alows it frown.gif

View Postbraid on conventional, mono on spinning. does that help? smile.gif

What leads you to believe this? Generalizations like this IMO dont belong here for someone looking for a serious answer to their problems.

In response to the OP, if your clam chucking, and it sounds like you are new to this game (may not be the case but it seems that way), i would strongly suggest mono for at least your first full season. Braid is great but you have to get comfy with your equip and casting first. Not cost yourself a $30 spool of line each time out cwm31.gif

Buy at least 1/4# spool of whichever brand you want, and SPOOL UP YOURSELF NOT AT THE TACKLE SHOP. Change the Mono every 4-5 trips, tie new knot to your terminal rig each trip. Dont leave your equipment (reel with mono on it) sitting in the sun at your house, keep it where Ultra violet light wont get to it. I suggest Gamma or P-Line mono/co-polymer.

Please clean up after yourself wherever you are fishing.

JC

View PostWhat leads you to believe this? Generalizations like this IMO dont belong here for someone looking for a serious answer to their problems.

Nothing leads me to believe that. Hence the smiley face. It is just how I do things. I like braid on my conventionals and mono on my spinning gear, although I do have a small amount of one or the other. I guess opinions get mixed when dealing with the internet and not face-to-face. What I meant was; I, and maybe only me, use braid on my "most" (95% of my conventionals) and mono on "most" (again, probably, 95%) of my spinnning rods. I do have a little bit of one or another. Thats what the "Does that help and the smiley face" were supposed to symbolize. Almost saying, what one does, will not help another! Sorry for the misunderstanding!

View PostChange the Mono every 4-5 trips, tie new knot to your terminal rig each trip.I suggest Gamma or P-Line mono/co-polymer

and no offense, but what leads you to believe this? I have solely been using the Suffix Superior (a couple Berkley Big Game) on my spinning reels and it is GREAT. and why change the mono so often? I fish (yes I am relatively new to saltwater) 5 times a week for a whole season with mono and I have never had a problem. Maybe once a week I cut the first few yards off and re-tie. That has been my freshwater experience, and fishing the salt, with a good freshwater rinse at the end of each trip, I cannot see much changing? And nothing has so far!

I like mono when throwing bait and braid for plugs. In my experience with mono i seem to change my line twice a year. I just inspect my line before i toss it out there i check if the line is degrading , if it is i just change it out. Mono is also cheap and doesnt hurt if you want to change it out alot. I fish 1-2 times a week with line being in the water about 8hrs a day.