Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reaux

Anyone Else Use Straws to Protect Small Flies?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Years ago inspiration struck and I started using straws to control my smaller flies. All one needs to do is cut a slit along the length of various size straws, see below for slurpy size straws, and insert fly. I then insert as many as needed loaded straws into a 3 X 5 inch 6mil bag. Easy to carry prevents tangles and if you use two 3 x 5 bags you can put used flies in their straws in the second bag. Anyone else doing this?

Think I'll post this down in the Fly Tying forum too.

Reaux

I must admit that this one never occurred to me. Bucktail might or might not lose its' flare when so confined, but most synthetics would do so. Do you find that a problem?

View PostI must admit that this one never occurred to me. Bucktail might or might not lose its' flare when so confined, but most synthetics would do so. Do you find that a problem?

Brian these are pretty slim straws so to fit most of these flies are pretty thin to begin with. I don't think this would work with, say, a bunker fly - to go to an extreme. Some of these flies have been stored in their straws for twenty or more years and are, seemingly, as good as the day they were tied.

Reaux

Years ago I used sections of plastic straws to cover my marabou streamers I used for freshwater trout fishing. Without the plastic straw the marabou would flare up and tangle with everything in the box.