Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StickBom

What's the most reliable 8-10lb nylon/monofilament line for surf fishing?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

There's just too many brands out there to choose from! eek.gif Basically I'm looking out for a 8-10lb line that's thin, low in memory and has relatively good resistance to abrasion when compared to line of similar diameter. Any recommendations? Many thanks in advance!

P-Line (I prefer the evolution product)

Gamma (purple box)

These have both done very well for me this year for freshwater fishing in heavy brush/weeds.

For the surf, to be honest I would suggest a stronger line (min. 20# braid/ 15-20#mono minimum) if you expect to beach a big fish in any sort of surf or current. If your hell bent on fishing that light off the beach, then these two lines which have "low stretch" (they still stretch quite a bit) would be my choice. I have used 8-10# for fluking off the beach on freshwater gear so biggrin.gif A leader is suggested as well

Thanks guys! Your inputs have been most helpful. Its tough to find some decent nylon line these days because most tackle shops here are stocking more braids than anything else. Luckily we still have a healthy supply of Pline and Berkley here!