Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
40shades-of-blue

Braid and bottom snags

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I like to use braid on my spinning reel for fluke. Last time I was out I got snagged on the bottom and the mate on the party boat took my rod pointed it to the water so all the pressure was on the line and reel and just held the drag until the leader snapped. Watching him do this I thought the bail was going to break from all the pressure on it. So is there a better way to break the leader off than like I described above? Has anyone actually broken their reel like this?

on a conventional reel you would hold the spool with your thumb, on a spinning reel i'd try to wrap the line around a stick or something to take the pressure off of the bail.

No matter what kind of reel your using, please use a rag or gloves. In a spinner the bail arm takes all the force and could bend or break it and in a conventional the line will dig its-self on the spool creating a nice nest next time you cast out.

On a spinning reel you can make a little slack and wrap the line around the body of the reel where it connects to the rod a couple times, then point the rod at the water, and give it a good straight pull.

when fishing the shores of the hudson at school, i got snagged more times than i could count. your best option, like others have said, is to get a stick of some sort and wrap the line around it and use that to pull. dont use the reel as braid has no stretch factor and can be unforgiving on reels