Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishingnuke

RIP Harry Livingston

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Harry J. Livingston, 87, a resident of West Long Branch for 55 years, passed away peacefully Sunday, Aug. 9, 2009, at home. Harry was well known to local fisherman of all ages, as a master and teacher of fishing.

Every fisherman has someone in his past that taught him things and secrets that made him a better surf caster and some times a better person. I was lucky I had a few; my Uncles Nick and Jimmy, my friend Bruno and this man Harry Livingston.

I met Harry when I was very young at Takanasee beach club, Harry was the guy that always had his rod with him and he would always be the guy that was catching fish. Most of all Harry was the go to guy for questions and he was always willing to teach you the secrets. As I grew older we ended up in the same fishing club Stevens Surfsters in Long Branch and fished many hours together on the beaches in Long Branch but mostly at Tak. Harry loved to fish that jetty and like clock work myself, Harry, Frank, Carl, and Ralph would all show up in the lot. There was never any bitching about a crowded jetty because we were there to not only catch a few fish but most of all to laugh and tell stories. Some of my best memories on the beach are with this fine man. Harry was a fine plug maker and built a few plugs every year and would always hand them out to his friends. I know a few plug makers have copied his design. Just last summer I stopped over to Harry's house to give him a bass and he was happy to give me a few new plugs he has just built. I will cherish them forever. I loved ya Harry and will think of you every time I fish Tak.

Real sorry to hear that. He was a real good guy and a 1st class plug builder.

HARRY J. LIVINGSTON

WEST LONG BRANCH

Harry J. Livingston, 87, a resident of West Long Branch for 55 years, passed away peacefully Sunday, Aug. 9, 2009, at home. Harry was well-known to local fisherman of all ages, as a master and teacher of fishing. Wood carving wildlife won him several awards. Passionate about the law, Harry worked more than 50 years in the profession, mostly for Young & Young in Newark, and in recent years for Escandon, Fernicola & Kean in Allenhurst. He is a veteran of the U.S. Army, where he was first nicknamed "Doc" and the U.S. Navy aboard the USS Renshaw and USS Takanis as gunner's mate during World War II in the South Pacific. Harry served his community on the West Long Branch Board of Adjustment, pursued hunting and fishing as a Cedar Sportsman's Club member, and was a member of the American Legion more than 50 years. Special recognition was awarded by the New Jersey General Assembly for his many achievements.

Surviving are his wife, Ceil of 58 years; his three children, Wendy and Greg of West Long Branch, and Vicki of Mequon, Wis.; his grandchildren, Joseph and Alexandra Sileno; a great-grandson, Chase Brensinger, also of Wisconsin; his cousin, Joe Mittelsdorf of Forked River; and long-time friend, Paul Escandon of Loch Arbor.

Relatives and friends are invited to visit from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 13, with a service at 8 p.m. at Fiore Funeral Home, 236 Monmouth Road, Ocean Township. On Friday, Aug. 14 at 11 a.m., a military interment will be held at Brig. Gen. William C. Doyle Veterans Memorial Cemetery Chapel, Arneytown. In lieu of flowers, gifts may be made to "Baird FBO Alexandra V. Sileno Supp Tr" c/o Robert W Baird, 1539 W. Market St., Mequon, WI 53092.

Seeyaround Harry.

Harry and Carl were the two guys that taught me how to bass fish. Harry in particular, how to rake and shed crabs, he was a master at that game.

I met Harry in an interesting way.

I was blackfishing the end of the jetty, 10' glass Grizzly/Fenwick, Surfmaster with 30# test and an ounce and a half sinker.

Got stuck. Yanking away for all I was worth, the sinker came loose and hissed by my ear at near light speed. I hear a thunk, like someone hitting a kettle drum and look back to see Harry splayed out on a rock, the sinker had nailed him clean in the middle of the chest. Took him a little while to warm up to me after that.

I always figure he and Carl taught me how to fish as a matter of self preservation cwm27.gif

Goodbye Harry, I hope there are lots of big tom turkeys waiting up there for you to call them in.