Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swffy

San Francisco

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hello

I dont know if it is forum etiquette to ask this question, so my apologies if this offends anyone. Could anyone recommend a salt water fly fishing guide in San Francisco.I am visiting at the end of september and beginning of October.

regards

Dan

Depends on what you are fishing for. Right now mako sharks are on fire out of Mission Bay and there are some good captains out there for that who specialize in fly/light tackle. Are you looking for makos?

View PostDepends on what you are fishing for. Right now mako sharks are on fire out of Mission Bay and there are some good captains out there for that who specialize in fly/light tackle. Are you looking for makos?

wrong "san" there formula wink.gif

he's staying in san francisco not san diego. 500 miles to the north cwm15.gif

just having some fun smile.gif

as to the OP, i don't know any san fran guides unfortunately. might want to try the west coast fishing forum if nobody here can help you. if you decide to drive 8 hours south i can help and so can formula.

View Posthe's staying in san francisco not san diego. 500 miles to the north cwm15.gif

just having some fun smile.gif

as to the OP, i don't know any san fran guides unfortunately. might want to try the west coast fishing forum if nobody here can help you. if you decide to drive 8 hours south i can help and so can formula.

Actually Mission Bay is in San Francisco and last report I heard was that the Mako fishing is on fire up that way. Personally myself I will be headed out to San Diego rather than San Fran for Makos at the end of the month. I may end up regretting not heading up to San Fran but I hope not smile.gif.

View PostActually Mission Bay is in San Francisco and last report I heard was that the Mako fishing is on fire up that way. Personally myself I will be headed out to San Diego rather than San Fran for Makos at the end of the month. I may end up regretting not heading up to San Fran but I hope not smile.gif.

headscratch.gif

i might be wrong but i believe you have your wires crossed confused.gifconfused.gif

mission bay san fran is a neighborhood if i'm not mistaken (been a few years).

mission bay san diego is a body of water. outside of which, there is an area well known for it's mako fishing. scott leon, conway bowman, dave trimble etc are all well known mako on the fly guys (among other things). i'm pretty sure you will be glad you are going to san diego and not san francisco if your goal is to target makos. wink.gif

missionbay_seaworld.gif

PS--i've fished with scott--if you are headed out with him, i think you will enjoy yourself icon14.gif

Ruh-rho...looks like a misfire. Governor, you are obviously dialed in. If you want to dredge for 6 gills Mission Bay, San Fran would be the way to go thoughcwm27.gif .

Funny thing is I'm pretty sure swffy has no intention to blue water FF.

Governor, I think you're right smile.gif. Everytime I tried to look up Mission Bay in CA, google maps gives me San Francisco. I couldn't understand it as I was pretty sure guys like Trimble and Bowman have their boats in San Diego so I was a bit puzzled when I'd heard that the Mako fishing was hot out of Mission Bay. Thanks for clarifying that for an East Coast fly fisherman!

Google up San Diego Fly Shop in Solana Beach. Its a nice shop. Plenty of options with their local guides. I think you can hook up with Bowman out of this shop. Bout a 20 minute ride north from S.D. proper.

Excellent! In the end, we're all directed in our appropriate directions, and we're all happy.

Memory is scratching at me .... who were those brothers in San Francisco who were so prominent in fishing in the area, twenty five years ago? Angelo and .... and ..... darn, Philipino last names.

It'll come back to me in the shower. These things always do.