Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huynh978

Where can i find scups/flounders or flukes? off shore.

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

hey, i am a new member here and I am looking around for some good fishing spots. Do any of you guys know any good fishing spots off shore for scups, floudners or flukes? And also what kind of bait would you guys recommend for flukes/flounders? The only reason why i asked this because I been fishing at Narragensett, rhode island, which is a long ass drive(2 hours). So if you guys know any fishing spot around 45-1 hour an half radius from lowell, ma, just let me know.

thanks, john

Fluke - catching them north of cape cod is a crap shoot from year to year...some years, points as far north as Plum Island has a decent year while other years, zilcho.

Scup, kind of the same deal...much more reliable on the south side of the cape...not too common up in NH/ME

Flounder (winter flounder to be exact)...I'm kind of partial to mud flats near marshy areas but have also done well near jetties in the ocean. This is the one fish out of the three you mentioned that is 'do-able' up in NH/ME.

From Lowell, the Buzzards Bay region just might be an easier ride for you...all fish you mentioned are caught right in the cape cod canal and points near by. 495 brings you right to itwink.gif

View PostFluke - catching them north of cape cod is a crap shoot from year to year...some years, points as far north as Plum Island has a decent year while other years, zilcho.

Scup, kind of the same deal...much more reliable on the south side of the cape...not too common up in NH/ME

Flounder (winter flounder to be exact)...I'm kind of partial to mud flats near marshy areas but have also done well near jetties in the ocean. This is the one fish out of the three you mentioned that is 'do-able' up in NH/ME.

From Lowell, the Buzzards Bay region just might be an easier ride for you...all fish you mentioned are caught right in the cape cod canal and points near by. 495 brings you right to itwink.gif

thanks for the quick reply. Ill probably try buzzard bay this weekend.

does anyone have experience w/ winter flounder around casco bay in recent years? I've been wondering if there were still enough around to make it a worthwhile endeavor from/along the shore... I guess I might just have find out for myself- not having much luck otherwise, so it can't hurt!

View PostFluke - catching them north of cape cod is a crap shoot from year to year...some years, points as far north as Plum Island has a decent year while other years, zilcho.

Buzzards bay is the way to go. PM me for a spot. Great for scup and stripers.