Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crabbypatty

BI advice

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I am planning a trip out to BI on thursday in a 25' cc. Can anyone give me any pointers on daytime striper action? I do not have any leadcore or wire setups, i was considering getting some live eels and drifting them. how about trolling an umbrella rig on mono with some weight in front of it? i would even get excited with some blues.

View PostI am planning a trip out to BI on thursday in a 25' cc. Can anyone give me any pointers on daytime striper action? I do not have any leadcore or wire setups, i was considering getting some live eels and drifting them. how about trolling an umbrella rig on mono with some weight in front of it? i would even get excited with some blues.

eels over structure

Eels or scup off the south end of the Island. Make sure you stay in State waters, the feds and DEM have been out there checking.

There Are No Fish In Rhode Island!!!

Seriously, I fish the island alot....check Underground weather. I was planning on fishing Thurs as well until I checked the weather. 6-10 NE all day with 40% chance of T-storms until 10am. Don't kknow where you'll be putting in but with a NE blow chances are you'll have a nasty ride to and from the island. Also with a NE wind, there is NOWHERE to hide unless you pull into the docks. Just something to look at. I put iin at Pt Judith and have cancelled for Thurs. I was out last Friday with a NW wind and it was F!@$%

miserable!

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...day= Thursday

Whatever you decide, good luck!

If you plan on fishing daytime hours with eels, I'd look in waters of 30 feet or more, especially during this current heat wave. Take a look at the chart of Block Island. There are plenty of contours where the slopes change 10 feet or more. Often the bass will lay on the bottom looking up-current. I like to find these areas on busy days and stay away from the bigger fleets. Pay attention to your sonar. That's important! Locate them, than start your drift.

You also have the option of the more popular locations over structure, rocks, and mounds. You can't miss them. Just watch for the fleet. They will be there day or night!

It's a great area to fish in the summertime. Nice location, plenty of good vistas, much cooler temp than the mainland.

Let us know how you made out!

Thanks guys! 5 to 10 mph is pretty calm for a 25' boat, no? i guess i will find out. maybe i will run over to the bay and see if there are any fluke left in there if it is too snotty. as far as scup go, how do you rig them up? do you trim their fins?

$200.00 /250.00 you can get a wire set up ... 300 ft wire troll slow with a tube and worm in 20-25 feet of water ... if you are bumping bottom bring in 100 ft and stay slow on the troll ... red wine tube the length of your forarm works for me .. back and forth on the back side of the island highfive.gif

View Post$200.00 /250.00 you can get a wire set up ... 300 ft wire troll slow with a tube and worm in 20-25 feet of water ... if you are bumping bottom bring in 100 ft and stay slow on the troll ... red wine tube the length of your forarm works for me .. back and forth on the back side of the island highfive.gif

I am just starting to come down with striper fever i hope my wallet can keep up, i hear it is a expensive, incurable, affliction. i plan on investing in a wire set up, as i fish race pt on the cape as well and the fleet out there all seems to be pulling wire. For now i am going to try drifting eels or livelining scup and see if i can't hook up. it worked two weeks ago on the cape,nothing real impressive, just a 22# and a 17# and a 30" fish i didn't bother to weigh. is it worth trying a beadchain drail sinker with the tube and worm, with mono? or it just won't get down to the bottom?

View Postwho is open early am for live eels? i usually buy my bait at quonny b+t but i don't know if they will be open at 5:30 am when i go past them. or if they have eels.

I get mine the night before. Use the bucket system with lots of ice and cover ice w/ newspaper. They will be fine for about 18 hrs. w/ lots of ice. I let them drain into the garden.

you could try the trolling sinker crabby but not sure what size to start with just make sure your not fishing right under the boat let it out a ways they do make some with weights in the head but there the longer tubes ... i guess try and figure out about what a small umbrella rig ways and go from there ..

its kinda tough to find eels in w mass, i guess they open a 6 so i am gonna be the first one there. well it is time to get some rest, 3 am is gonna come up fast...thanks for the help and advice everyone...

View PostIf you plan on fishing daytime hours with eels, I'd look in waters of 30 feet or more, especially during this current heat wave. Take a look at the chart of Block Island. There are plenty of contours where the slopes change 10 feet or more. Often the bass will lay on the bottom looking up-current. I like to find these areas on busy days and stay away from the bigger fleets. Pay attention to your sonar. That's important! Locate them, than start your drift.

You also have the option of the more popular locations over structure, rocks, and mounds. You can't miss them. Just watch for the fleet. They will be there day or night!

It's a great area to fish in the summertime. Nice location, plenty of good vistas, much cooler temp than the mainland.

Let us know how you made out!

Myself and the Optimist,Steve, will be taking this approach tomorrow morn...thanks Capt.