Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lbifly

bosting lisence?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

i know that i have to get one but, i cant get it at ramsey outdoors because they stoped it. but i was thinking about taking it online on boat course. has anyone taken it and is it ok for NJ and do you get a slip/lisence? . or does anyone know if there is a place where i could take it on LOng Beach island. responces would be greatly appreciated.cwm15.gif

alex

I'm pretty sure you need to do the safety courses before you can have the boat license added to your NJ drivers license. Here's a list of places for the test. It's all pretty basic stuff, NJ just wants to get their money. I don't think they allow courses to be done online anymore either. That's what I was going to do but went for the course earlier this year in person.

http://njboatingsafetyclasses.com/_m...age_10655.html

There was a long thread on this last year. Essentially, here's the skinny.

You must take the course; there is no test-out option anymore. The test-out was only available to older boaters with experience. You can take a review "course" online, but only as a review- probably a waste of time now that you can't test out of the course. (There never was an online test available to New Jersey residents. One always had to take a proctored exam.) Now everyone must sit for the course and take the proctored exam at the end. Sadly, many proctors don't seem to care if cheating and collaboration on the test take place, but that's another story.

You only need the boat addition on your driver's license if you are operating in non-tidal waters, and only with certain boats and motors. Check the State Police site for details.

The course and test are easy. While many, including me, have questioned the effect of this course on water safety, you'll probably learn some valuable information, and if you follow it, you will be a safer boat operator, and that's a good thing.

Best regards,

Irv

Check out craigslist.There are classes offered where you can do the boating course and take the test all in the same day $70.00.

I took the online course,and took the test about two weeks later.