Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RC Basher20

I need some lure suggestions - on a very low budget

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Hi, about 1 week ago, I went fishing with a friend at Lincoln woods. We got no fish, no nibbles, nothing. So I tried casting my 1 and only lure I have from a long time ago. Nothing. Yesterday my friend and I went to this place called jelly stone park campground. No fish, no nibbles, no luck with my lure. Only thing that happened that day was that my lure got caught on the weeds at the bottom. So now I'm fish-less, and lure-less. Today I went fishing with my mom to stump pond, since she had the day off. I caught 4 sunfish. My first fish was about 5 inches long. Second fish was about 4 inches long. My last 2 fish were 3 inches long. cwm27.gif I had a lot of fun. I want to catch bigger fish. I also decided to buy some more lures to catch fish with. I am very tight on my budget. I have only about $4.27 to spend. I am turning 15 August 23, so as u can guess, I like to spend my moneyJ. So what lures would you suggest I can buy, that are cheap but actually work? Thanks

BTW: I dig up my worms, so I don't have to buy them. smile.gif

I can totally relate to your predicament. When I was young, I always saved my allowance, except for fishing lures.

The suggestions will vary depending on what type of fish you seek, and how advanced you are in your fishing techniques.

You stated you caught some sunfish. This tells me a catch is pretty important, not so much a particular species. In that case, a spoon such as a red devil, dare devil(red & white, or better yet an Al's goldfish would be good bets. These will land pickerel, white and yellow perch, trout, crappies(calico bass), and sometimes a large mouth.

Another beginers type lure could be a plug type, being a fish or minnow imitator such as a rebel or a rapala. These are great for banging the above mentioned fish, but will also take largemouth bass. If you have a mentor who fishes, I would suggest a slow introduction into fishing soft plastics. These are a little different to fish as they are weedless, but require more technique to fish. They are awesome for bass, pickerel, pike.

You've come to the right place for advice, There are many who will help you here. Two thumbs up for Mum fortaking you fishing, you've gotta love her1icon14.gificon14.gifHappyWave.gif

Send me a PM with your address and I will send you a bomber 16a on me if you promise to fish it with a length of 30-50# leader 3-4 feet long. NOT losing what you have should be your first priority.

Mojo will be Included biggrin.gif

JC

View PostSend me a PM with your address and I will send you a bomber 16a on me if you promise to fish it with a length of 30-50# leader 3-4 feet long. NOT losing what you have should be your first priority.

Mojo will be Included biggrin.gif

JC

As you may figure, I'm pretty new to this- thus catching sunfish. The type of fishing I do, is standing on a ledge, and fishing off it. So, I'm not sure if your type of lure is for fishing off boats, or to catch trout, bass, or much bigger fish. There were people next to me catching trout. :/ I just don't understand what you mean by 30-50# leader 3-4 feet long.

Also, how do I send a PM? I cant find the button anywhere to send one.

View PostI can totally relate to your predicament. When I was young, I always saved my allowance, except for fishing lures.

The suggestions will vary depending on what type of fish you seek, and how advanced you are in your fishing techniques.

You stated you caught some sunfish. This tells me a catch is pretty important, not so much a particular species. In that case, a spoon such as a red devil, dare devil(red & white, or better yet an Al's goldfish would be good bets. These will land pickerel, white and yellow perch, trout, crappies(calico bass), and sometimes a large mouth.

Another beginers type lure could be a plug type, being a fish or minnow imitator such as a rebel or a rapala. These are great for banging the above mentioned fish, but will also take largemouth bass. If you have a mentor who fishes, I would suggest a slow introduction into fishing soft plastics. These are a little different to fish as they are weedless, but require more technique to fish. They are awesome for bass, pickerel, pike.

You've come to the right place for advice, There are many who will help you here. Two thumbs up for Mum fortaking you fishing, you've gotta love her1icon14.gificon14.gifHappyWave.gif

WOW! thanks for the tips!!! There are pike in the center of the lake, but i highly doubt ill catch one of those frown.gif. I'm thinking of making another homemade minnow catcher that they make on youtube. Last time i tried to make one, i was pulling it in but it was caught on so many weeds because i figured minnows were hiding there. But the line ripped pulling it in. And it was very deep, so even if i went in to get it, i would be soaked. So, with this next trap ill use rope, instead of fishing line.

Im the kind of person who likes catching fish, but if i keep catching 4 inch fish, its not much fun :/

Edit: Here are some pictures of my trap, now that i think of it, i had no idea of why i use fishing line on the trap, then attached it to the rope.... cwm27.gif

DSCN2276.jpg

DSCN2277.jpg

DSCN2278.jpg

DSCN2279.jpg

DSCN2280.jpg

DSCN2281.jpg

Beetle spins will catch plenty of fish in the freshwater ponds you are fishing. Get them at Kmart or Walmart. Use the white grub body with the red dot underneath. I caught 5 species in a couple hours with one once.

Hi RC Basher20,

I didn't have much money to spend on lures when I was young either!

Consider 1 1/2" plastic curl tail grubs on 1/16 oz. jigheads. Mister Twister and Kalin's are good brands. Chartreuse, smoke or white in clear or algae-stained water, yellow or brown/orange in muddy water. Unpainted and painted jigheads work equally well. Cut the lead collars off the jigheads to minimize tearing up the grub bodies. Fish them on 4#-8# mono tied directly to the jig's hookeye. Jig them off the bottom, swim them slowly over the bottom or use them 2'-4' below a bobber with a stop-and go retrieve.

I've caught more fish in freshwater east of the Mississippi on those things than all other lures and baits combined! Each lure ends up costing about $.25. I've caught largemouths, smallmouths, walleyes, northerns, pickerel, crappies, white bass, white perch, yellow perch, trout, bluegills, channel catfish and carp on those little twisters. I bet you will too!

Light jigging fills the frying pan! FB

i have alot so i will send you a few fresh water plugs. let me know how you do with them . send your name and address hope you catch alot. let me know what size your rod is and what reel and what test line your using are you fishing mostly ponds or streams etc. make sure you tell your mom I'm sending you a few lures. keep fishing Lockbox

Purple plastic worms rigged Texas style can be quite effective for bass. Try a very-very slow retrieve, keeping your rod tip high with slight twitching. When the bass picks up the worm, let the fish run. Once your rod is parallel to the water set the hook. If you can, try sunset and dawn. Google plastic worms/texas rig for more info.

Good luck!

a member showed me this thread, it shows some good lures:

http://stripersonline.com/surftalk/s...d.php?t=677803

i expect you cant buy most of these. im in the same position as you and have a very low budget and i cant buy them either. im trying to look on ebay and finding garage sales nearby so i can ride my bike and try to buy some lures there if they have any. so far no luck. frown.gif

if not im gonna get some for christmas, but hoping to get money and buy two or three before hand. i wish i won that give-a-way they were having for teens. good luck

View PostYeah, those are the ones! I have a blast with them. Even caught a bullhead on one.

i highly recommend the ones in catapala, black with yellow strips, white with red dot. they will catch anything in freshwater and pretty weedless. pretty cheap too at 1 dollar each(one rigged with spinner and usually 2 spare bodies).

my friends and i have caught;

bass

bluegill

green sunfish

redear sunfish

redbreast sunfish

pickerel