Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishbulb

Wooden Poppers for Freshwater

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

This past Winter I was given an assortment of freshwater flies.

One of them was a yellow popper that had a sunken top to it that cast like a rocket and popped like a dream....

.....and yesterday I managed to mangle it on a backcast in a shrub.

Closer inspection revealed that the body was actually wood, not foam like the others.

I've checked everywhere I can think of to find small poppers with wooden bodies either pre-tied or just the parts. Can't find them anywhere.

Anyone know where I can get them?

Was it wood, or cork? Most made today are foam, but many used to be made with cork. If it's really wood, it's likely balsa, or possibly basswood, but more likely balsa. I used to make some poppers out of balsa, but it's time consuming to shape it, sand it & paint it. The preformed foam are much easier to work with, and readily available.

Really hard to find pre-made balsa bodies, unless you know someone who makes them. I don't even recall ever seeing any made commercially.

View PostMuch cheaper to make your own. In an hour or so you can make up a whole bunch from one of the kits on the market.

I welcome the idea of tying my own.

However I work close to 60 hours a week and have a 4-year old and a 4-month old.

Time is more valuable to me than money right now.

I know what your talking about.They are Pan fish poppers.They come in yellow,green,many colors with little rubber legs & a feather tail If those are the ones your talking about? I think you can find them in K-Mart Wal-Mart,Maybe Dicks sporting,Cabela's has them ( Sneeky Pete )

s7_312596_renderset_02?$main-Medium$

View PostThis past Winter I was given an assortment of freshwater flies.

One of them was a yellow popper that had a sunken top to it that cast like a rocket and popped like a dream....

.....and yesterday I managed to mangle it on a backcast in a shrub.

Closer inspection revealed that the body was actually wood, not foam like the others.

I've checked everywhere I can think of to find small poppers with wooden bodies either pre-tied or just the parts. Can't find them anywhere.

Anyone know where I can get them?

Search 'Stamina Tackle lure kits' Open 'wood plugs and hardware' look for wood popper blanks. With a little searching you'll find nice three inch popper bodies ($1.98 ea) which I dearly like for small mouths early in the morning. Of course you'll have to seal them (check the lure building forum) and paint them - attach screw eyes (stainless) and hooks.

Reaux

View PostSearch 'Stamina Tackle lure kits' Open 'wood plugs and hardware' look for wood popper blanks. With a little searching you'll find nice three inch popper bodies ($1.98 ea) which I dearly like for small mouths early in the morning. Of course you'll have to seal them (check the lure building forum) and paint them - attach screw eyes (stainless) and hooks.

Reaux

Obviously these lure kits are better suited for ultra light spinning outfits. Though in my own defense I have a number of two inch balsa wood poppers suitable for fly fishing that I made modeled after the three inch popper kits. However the OP said he didn't have time to go in this direction. Need a vacation . . . or an anti stupid pill.

Reaux

View Post However the OP said he didn't have time to go in this direction. Need a vacation . . . or an anti stupid pill.

Reaux

A vacation would be nice. As I'm a Contractor at my job in IT I don't really get them.

The rare two or three hours or so I get during the week to fly fish at a local pond is what's managed to help me keep my sanity during this time in my life. I know plenty of others have it much worse than me, but I still find it invaluable to get out, even if it's briefly, and fish for a bit.

I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to call me "stupid" for working my butt off to support my family, pay mortgage and do what I can to provide for them.

I was just hoping to get some information about a popper that I'd found to work well for me, not be called names or have my intellect judged.

And thank you for those that were helpful. I'll see if I can find them in my travels.

View PostA vacation would be nice. As I'm a Contractor at my job in IT I don't really get them.

The rare two or three hours or so I get during the week to fly fish at a local pond is what's managed to help me keep my sanity during this time in my life. I know plenty of others have it much worse than me, but I still find it invaluable to get out, even if it's briefly, and fish for a bit.

I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to call me "stupid" for working my butt off to support my family, pay mortgage and do what I can to provide for them.

I was just hoping to get some information about a popper that I'd found to work well for me, not be called names or have my intellect judged.

And thank you for those that were helpful. I'll see if I can find them in my travels.

For the record; I was referring to myself for suggesting what obviously were spinning lure kits on a fly fishing forum. It's all cool with me, sorry you took it that way.

Okay, here is how I should have said it => I Need a vacation . . . or an anti stupid pill.

Reaux

I thought Reaux was refering to himself and didn't mean it twards you Fishbulb as he responded. smile.gif

I have one I made that I will send you that is small (sunfish size) if you want, just P/M me an address.

I'm trying to make one in the shape of a Jitterbug. TRYING is the key word.wink.gif

Bruce

View PostFor the record; I was referring to myself for suggesting what obviously were spinning lure kits on a fly fishing forum. It's all cool with me, sorry you took it that way.

Okay, here is how I should have said it => I Need a vacation . . . or an anti stupid pill.

Reaux

These participles.....they dangle...and no one knows where they go!

Sorry I mis-read. Thanks for taking the time to clarify and sorry if I got out of line.

View PostThese participles.....they dangle...and no one knows where they go!

Sorry I mis-read. Thanks for taking the time to clarify and sorry if I got out of line.

I'm glad that is cleared up.

I've been thinking about your problem. Now I don't know exactly the popper style you are seeking in wood - but if a small tapered cylindrical popper is of interest here is what you might do.

1) Go to the hardware store and procure a suitable diameter dowel.

2) Stick the end in a pencil sharpener (it would be good if you have one that on the face as multiple size openings).

3) Cut the tapered end with a hand/hack saw to a suitable length.

4) With a suitable saw cut a groove of sufficient depth and width to receive a hook (use a vise).

5) Put blank in vise and either dremel or use a suitable size drill to hollow out the face - no need to drill deeply, just enough to make a cup face.

6) Select a hook to fit - wrap ***cotton*** thread along the shank.

7) Place wrapped hook into groove and superglue it in place. The cotton thread will give super adhesion. You can use some sort of filler to fill the rest of the groove if you want.

8) Paint and let dry

9) Tie on some sort of tail.

You can make very tiny poppers this way, or larger depending on the diameter of the dowel you select. It should take about 15 to 20 minutes to make one with a little practice.

Reaux