Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John O'

Bouillabaisse

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Last Thursday I went to a birthday party for my wife's sister so I decided to try and make an easy bouillabaisse for the occaision. The day before I bought all the ingredients except the seafood figuring I would get that on the day of the party on my way home from work, as my fish monger is about an 1/8 of a mile from my house. I get there Thursday afternoon and he has no shellfish; clams, mussels, oysters NOTHING! He's a great guy and always gives me great deals and he was crushed he couldn't help me out. So I decided to give it a go with shrimp, scallops and haddock.

In a large stock pot I sauteed a large white onion and about 4 large cloves of diced garlic in olive oil until transculent. I then added two small bottles of clam juice and about a cup of dry white wine and brought it to a simmer adding old bay, salt, pepper, and dry basil. I then added two cans (28 oz.) of chunky crushed tomatoes, and two cans of water and simmered it adding spices as needed. After about an hour of simmering I added a pound of sea scallops cut into bite size pieces, and a pound and a half of haddock also cut in to bite sized pieces and simmered that for about five minutes. I then added about a pound of cooked shrimp and turned off the heat. I served it over seasoned croutons. Depsite its RAVE reviews from the 20 or so people at the party I would not add the wine next time. I also want to duplicate it with littlenecks, cherrystones and mussels.

Any suggestions, comments and critiques are welcome, bearing in mind this was a considered a "simple" bouillabaisse, I just didn't have the time to make a fish stock from scratch - but hope to do so this winter.

Thanks.

HappyWave.gif

View PostNo saffron? Because without saffron it's just fish soup.

A jar with a few springs of saffron at Stop and Shop was $18.99. eek.gif

Maybe I'll change the name of the thread to fish soup. cwm27.gif

View PostA jar with a few springs of saffron at Stop and Shop was $18.99. eek.gif

Maybe I'll change the name of the thread to fish soup. cwm27.gif

Spices are crazy expensive at stop and shop and most other big chain grocery stores. The best saffron (and spices) can be bought at indian/persian grocery stores...it's still not cheap, but not a rip off like stop and shop.

John, as AHG said, don't buy saffron at S&S....find yourself an Indian or Middle Eastern grocer and get it there....you can get a small tin for like $2, but you don't need much, as saffron can easily overpower a dish with a "medicinal" taste....and always buy saffron threads, not ground saffron. Chances are ground "saffron" is turmeric. And always "bloom" the saffron threads in a bit of warm water or stock, and then pour the whole thing in.

View PostJohn, as AHG said, don't buy saffron at S&S....find yourself an Indian or Middle Eastern grocer and get it there....you can get a small tin for like $2, but you don't need much, as saffron can easily overpower a dish with a "medicinal" taste....and always buy saffron threads, not ground saffron. Chances are ground "saffron" is turmeric. And always "bloom" the saffron threads in a bit of warm water or stock, and then pour the whole thing in.

It is best to buy most spices whole...then roast and gring to make fresh powdered spices as and when you need it. Time consuming but the most flavorful.

I always 'bloom' the saffron in yogurt. It helps bring out the color more.

Not to hi jack the thread but I would like to say Hello everyone. I am fairly new to this website and an epicurean. I would recommend the Pernod(french anise flavored liquor) too. I would also recommend the rouille (garlicly, spicy, mayo) to serve with pieces of grilled bread to go along with the bouillabaisse. My wife loves when I make this. For the saffron, I live on the North Shore of LI and get the saffron from the Badia brand at the local Waldbaums. It is not that expensive. All of the Badia prices are cheaper then your McCormick spices.

View PostTough crowd.....shakehead.gif

Nah, not really. smile.gif

I find this to be THE best reference for my cooking questions; nothing like a bunch of half-arsed fishing/cooking folks to set you on the straight and narrow. biggrin.gif

If you did a search of my cooking questions I'd say most of them would be requesting for "easy", "quick", or "simple" suggestions for recipes, due to my extremely busy life cwm15.gif , and pure laziness. redface.gif

cwm27.gif

View PostNah, not really. smile.gif

I find this to be THE best reference for my cooking questions; nothing like a bunch of half-arsed fishing/cooking folks to set you on the straight and narrow. biggrin.gif

If you did a search of my cooking questions I'd say most of them would be requesting for "easy", "quick", or "simple" suggestions for recipes, due to my extremely busy life cwm15.gif , and pure laziness. redface.gif

cwm27.gif

LOL...okay I take it back then! icon14.gif