Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yarzorm

Original Atom Jr

16 posts in this topic

I have an atom swimmer whose plastic body measures 5.5" . I measure the plastic body of an atom 40 at 7.25". Is the shorter plug an atom jr, or does that term refer to some other size? Is an atom jr any swimmer shorter than a 40 but bigger than the spin size? Thanks.

It's made of hard plastic, the same an old atom 40. Sorry, no pic available. It also has a brass thru wire. I also forgot to ask, is it worth much, or good for fishing only?

I have never seen a Jr made out of the same plastic as the Atom 40. All I have seen have been hard foam. A picture would really help because without it we are groping in the dark.

What color is it?

Wasn't there a company in Conn. making see-through plastic Atom Jr style plugs a few years ago? I seem to remember seeing pics of them, but can't recall the details. A mind is a terrible thing to lose. wink.gif

I picked up a bunch of 40 jr's a few years back. Most where the foam type plastic. But in that lot were some wooden jr's. I repainted them all, including the wooden ones.smile.gif

View PostWasn't there a company in Conn. making see-through plastic Atom Jr style plugs a few years ago? I seem to remember seeing pics of them, but can't recall the details. A mind is a terrible thing to lose. wink.gif

You maybe thinking of an older gentleman in RI who made Bob ponds molds for his plastic atoms...this gentleman retired at the age of 80 +, but before he left he made another mold of a mini 40 reverse...6"...same plastic, but never saw any swimmers.

View PostWasn't there a company in Conn. making see-through plastic Atom Jr style plugs a few years ago? I seem to remember seeing pics of them, but can't recall the details. A mind is a terrible thing to lose. wink.gif

I remember a thread like that too SS, plugs were from CT and plastic and looked like clear plastic atoms(tho I dont recall if jr's or 40's), the ones in the thread as I remember were in packages, tho with minimal labeling. Should be in the archives, question is under what?

I can't provide a pic, but I can apologize for a mistake about the material. It's definitely not as dense or as glossy as the atom 40's, although it has more gloss than most of the spin atoms I have. We lived in Cumberland RI about a mile from the So Attleboro MA border. My dad stopped by the atom factory once or twice when I was with him, but I stayed in the truck and listened to the radio (this was early 60's). I should have gone in to see what I could. Anyway the plug has a 5.5" body, is made of white (mostly) with blue foam, with a brass thru wire. Is it an atom jr? Thank you all.

Man, did they catch fish. I got my first ever keeper bass on one off of the North Jetty at Barnegat Inlet in 1977.

Fish it, you won't be sorry. Then you will be looking for them at flea markets.