Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joey T

Charles River in Watertown

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I am not going to specific a street or a spot, but I have a problem. I have tried using everything (tubes in glow in dark n brown color, yellow dirty tubes in big and small size,senkos in 4-5 in in purple with glitters, pumpkin color, green with glitters) and a light blue small rebel popper, a black topp and silver body mann popper and a plastic frog with fluttering hairlines legs. no bites. i tried a black top and gray/silver body small crankbait. still no bite. the bass (smallmouth or largies) hit the surface not like crazy, btu very slowly. i even tried the weightless senkos and no response. lets jsut say i fish in watertown square. so any suggestion or advice wld be nice. i even caught a ncie bass on a pumpkinseed color senko on a 1/8 oz darting owner hook jighead. then the bite sucked. also i cant tell what baits dominate the presence in the area, too

View PostHey guys, I am not going to specific a street or a spot, but I have a problem. I have tried using everything (tubes in glow in dark n brown color, yellow dirty tubes in big and small size,senkos in 4-5 in in purple with glitters, pumpkin color, green with glitters) and a light blue small rebel popper, a black topp and silver body mann popper and a plastic frog with fluttering hairlines legs. no bites. i tried a black top and gray/silver body small crankbait. still no bite. the bass (smallmouth or largies) hit the surface not like crazy, btu very slowly. i even tried the weightless senkos and no response. lets jsut say i fish in watertown square. so any suggestion or advice wld be nice. i even caught a ncie bass on a pumpkinseed color senko on a 1/8 oz darting owner hook jighead. then the bite sucked. also i cant tell what baits dominate the presence in the area, too

i'm pretty sure i know the spot as i go there as well...and pretty much have tried using the same stuff without too much luck. i tried going up-river a bit and had more success...i actually went weightless with a slug-go and it worked on smallmouth. i hear just north of there where the water is a little more rapid is good for smallmouth using rapalas. you really would think the area you're currently trying would be very good given the location, depths, environment etc....

chartreuse senkos weightless, or wacky.

got to hit the current. go right before a storm .

better in a month or so.

View PostHey guys, I am not going to specific a street or a spot, but I have a problem. I have tried using everything (tubes in glow in dark n brown color, yellow dirty tubes in big and small size,senkos in 4-5 in in purple with glitters, pumpkin color, green with glitters) and a light blue small rebel popper, a black topp and silver body mann popper and a plastic frog with fluttering hairlines legs. no bites. i tried a black top and gray/silver body small crankbait. still no bite. the bass (smallmouth or largies) hit the surface not like crazy, btu very slowly. i even tried the weightless senkos and no response. lets jsut say i fish in watertown square. so any suggestion or advice wld be nice. i even caught a ncie bass on a pumpkinseed color senko on a 1/8 oz darting owner hook jighead. then the bite sucked. also i cant tell what baits dominate the presence in the area, too

try and find darker, deeper, danker water, water temps are high, bass are slow, try plastic mice deep in the pads, white, chartreuse, heavy braid to pull the buckets out. Smallies better in a month.

View PostSmallies better in a month.

+1

September brings the best smallie fishing in the Charles.

You're not doing anything wrong. River's high and fast, fish are deep. Tough fishing. Give it a month and things should really pick up.

View Posti'm pretty sure i know the spot as i go there as well...and pretty much have tried using the same stuff without too much luck. i tried going up-river a bit and had more success...i actually went weightless with a slug-go and it worked on smallmouth. i hear just north of there where the water is a little more rapid is good for smallmouth using rapalas. you really would think the area you're currently trying would be very good given the location, depths, environment etc....

how far north? well the water is flat. bass hit whenever they feel like it. if there are good currents i always favor currents to make my worms more effective.

someone said b/t the square and the dam is good with some rapid water...haven't checked it out yet but it's worth a shot. also, i've had success right above the dam from the shore. i would love to get out way up river on a boat sometime...

i have never gone wrong with the h6 size husky jerk gold and black trolling with pauses if in a kayak or just twitching it from shore deadly lure for smallmouths. if they are not hitting that size go to the one just smaller than that

View Posti have never gone wrong with the h6 size husky jerk gold and black trolling with pauses if in a kayak or just twitching it from shore deadly lure for smallmouths. if they are not hitting that size go to the one just smaller than that

what comapny is this lure under? just googled up and cldnt see any pic of it

i went down to the charles today all over the place you name it - watertown square, down river towards the kayak place. all i caught was 1 small largemouth on a senko. too hot out i guess.

what lure colors do you guys recommend in this dirty water other than gold?

View PostJust this week I started getting hits again above the Moody St. dam on black rubber worms with red or silver speckles and bright tails hooked weedless down the middle of the river.

went otu there today. some bits on chart senko and yum worms, but no hook ups till thunder arrived. damn now the water is gonna be high. is it fishable? if so then what color do u suggest that i can entice a hook up?

View Postwent otu there today. some bits on chart senko and yum worms, but no hook ups till thunder arrived. damn now the water is gonna be high. is it fishable? if so then what color do u suggest that i can entice a hook up?

yeah i was up and down the charles all day...too hot. i think it's just the conditions. i tried shallow water, deeper water, faster water etc. i had a few bites other than the crappy bass i caught. i can tell they were sunfish. never get "nibbles" when it's something else. for lure colors anywhere other than the charles i never go wrong with blues, blacks, browns etc. anything natural colored.

i caught this minnow with a watermelon / black speck senko 4"