Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DAQ

I don't mind blues but..

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I usually don't mind blues but there is one out there that I wish horrible things for.

I fished a popular strip of water this morning and landed a 5-6 lb blue. Apparently the fish was still hungry because it gave me a fast but hard whack when I was trying to release it.

The bite did not hurt at all but I knew it was going to be bad. Upon further inspection the blue left a flap that reaches halfway across the middle knuckle of my middle finger and is deeper than I would have imagined possible. The blood produced was quite impressive and of course I did not have any bandages.

I finally slowed the blood flow, down to a constant oozing, by using one of my daughters hair elastics wrapped 4-5 times around the knuckle.

I hope that rat bastard gets eaten by a bluefin.

Had this happen twice (I am a little thick), until I got an inexpensive lip gripper (no scale). The third time would have been "shame on me". The name razor lips is very accurate. Good luck.

Steve

I feel your pain guys. Earlier this season I lipped a blue, yeah I know, but the skin finally grew back. Same day I also allowed one to thrash a hook deep into my middle finger, same hand. Turned out ok though, when I dropped the fish the hook ripped out! That'll show em!

I must be leading a charmed life, only one blue caught all season so far in the Ditch. And that wound up in the smoker courtesy of Mr. BobG. highfive.gif

Take care of that finger!

-bd

View PostI usually don't mind blues but there is one out there that I wish horrible things for.

I fished a popular strip of water this morning and landed a 5-6 lb blue. Apparently the fish was still hungry because it gave me a fast but hard whack when I was trying to release it.

Same thing happened to me last year; deep cut accross the right index finger. I can lift the skin up and see the white part of the bone under neat. It was a nasty sight. Luckily I had an emergency kit onboard to stop the bleeding and stiching tape to hold the skin in place. I then wrapped it in popcicle sticks to keep the finger place.

At least it's not on your index finger where you do most of your casting on spinning reels. wink.gif

Those guys that do hold them to remove the hooks grasp them over the shoulders, thumb and all fingers straddled over the back, and clasp down on the top of the gills.

Me?....I put the fish down, lightly step on it's head and gills, and carefully remove the hook(s) using two hands if necessary. Then gingerly grabbing the blue by its tail, throw it back.

About 15 years ago, fishing middle of the night, waist deep in the canal, I reached down to grab what I assumed was another medium size bass. I placed my left thumb directly into the mouth of, and grabbed the lower jaw of a very angry 8 pound blue.cwm31.gif He shook, and shook, and hung on like a bear trap. Thumb was reduced to shreds, and he bite right through my thumb nail.

View PostAbout 15 years ago, fishing middle of the night, waist deep in the canal, I reached down to grab what I assumed was another medium size bass. I placed my left thumb directly into the mouth of, and grabbed the lower jaw of a very angry 8 pound blue.cwm31.gif He shook, and shook, and hung on like a bear trap. Thumb was reduced to shreds, and he bite right through my thumb nail.

Oh damn! Sounds like I got off easy. That musta hurt.

An old timer showed me a neat trick once for unhooking blues, but you have to be very careful, and probably should only use it on fish that you're going to keep. At the very bottom of the gill opening, just behind the lower jaw, they have a nerve that controls their jaw opening and closing. If you pinch that nerve, it immobilizes them much the same way that lipping a bass does.

Personally, I grab them securely behind the head, as Joe described. And I use pliers on the hook wink.gif.

Easy to release them this way, too.

View PostThose guys that do hold them to remove the hooks grasp them over the shoulders, thumb and all fingers straddled over the back, and clasp down on the top of the gills.

Me?....I put the fish down, lightly step on it's head and gills, and carefully remove the hook(s) using two hands if necessary. Then gingerly grabbing the blue by its tail, throw it back.

Okay Joe I've done it both ways - your second paragraph is without doubt the safest way for the fisherman - don't know if it is the best way for the bluefish though.

Doing as you said in the first part of your post I once was nipped by a eight pound bluefish . . . took the tip of my right index finger right off. Spurting arterial blood is sort of interesting. Looked at my missing finger tip and got sprayed by my own blood which coated my sun glasses. Went back to the truck keeping my finger, which was acting like a water pistol, pointed away from the interior of the truck I managed to wrap the offending finger with a paper towel followed by a number of wraps of electrical tape and I was more of less good to go.

Had to fly fish left handed for the rest of the trip. Best part was being asked by my fishing buddy if I wanted to be taken to the hospital and responding - "nah there's nothing left to sew back".

Reaux

View Post.....

Doing as you said in the first part of your post I once was nipped by a eight pound bluefish . . . took the tip of my right index finger right off. Spurting arterial blood is sort of interesting. Looked at my missing finger tip and got sprayed by my own blood which coated my sun glasses. Went back to the truck keeping my finger, which was acting like a water pistol, pointed away from the interior of the truck I managed to wrap the offending finger with a paper towel followed by a number of wraps of electrical tape and I was more of less good to go......

Very descriptive and somewhat funny, Reaux.

Interesting.....I'm guessing arterial blood spurts in unison with your heart beat......yes?

Then there's the time honored method of unhooking blues, whereas you beat them over the head with a pipe wrench until there are no longer any signs of life, then you carefully cut the hook out using a knife with a long blade.

I've found on South Cape when your only targeting blues using a Roberts or Kastmaster married to a large siwash, crush down the barbs.

Then when your hauling in blue after blue, all you need to do is bend over, with the blue still at waters edge, and with a pair of needle nose pliers, easily flip the hook from the blues mouth, and gentle kick it back into the suds.

Ya get more fishing time in this way......especially when their blitzing the beach, and your trying to beat your personal best in the number of bluefish beached in a blitz.

Years back at SC, I believe I beached and released ten or eleven blues that blitzed up and down the beach one late afternoon.

View PostVery descriptive and somewhat funny, Reaux.

Interesting.....I'm guessing arterial blood spurts in unison with your heart beat......yes?

Oh yes, arterial blood spurts are very much in tune with your heart beat. Thankfully I got it wrapped before the beauties in their skimpy outfits sauntered by.

Reaux