Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluemagnet

whats the smallest or strangest place you've caught bass

35 posts in this topic

This question reminds me of an old "The Newlywed Game."

The question was "Where was the strangest place you made whoppee?

Typical answers were kitchen, car, park.

One bride's answer-butt tongue.gif

When I was a kid there was a little hole-in-the-wall drainage ditch with a small feeder stream that flowed out of a much larger pond near my house. It was barely a foot or so deep and by mid-May every year it would dry up, but in the Spring time some huge bass would find there way in there via that feeder stream and it always made for some epic early season fishing.

People would give me funny looks when they saw me fishing there, and understandably so. But I'm telling you, from ice out through April that little puddle was loaded.

As the season progressed and it started to drain out my friends and I would actually walk down and pick up the stranded bass by hand. We toyed with the idea of putting them in buckets and bringing them back up to the pond but never did. It was just too far away and there were too many of them.

Fun times.

My cousin has a farm in Bucks county Pa and one afternoon at a family function I went into the woods to check out what he called his trout stream. I walk up to the bank about 3 feet up looking down and all I see is LMB. Not a trout in sight. I had a ball with them all afternoon on my ultra light rod and rooster tails and mepps. Bass to 1.5#'s. Oh the stream was only about 2 ft deep and 5 ft wide.

View PostMy cousin has a farm in Bucks county Pa and one afternoon at a family function I went into the woods to check out what he called his trout stream. I walk up to the bank about 3 feet up looking down and all I see is LMB. Not a trout in sight. I had a ball with them all afternoon on my ultra light rod and rooster tails and mepps. Bass to 1.5#'s. Oh the stream was only about 2 ft deep and 5 ft wide.

There is lots of streams like that in bucks county most are overlooked and hold really big bass look for debris and logjams those areas produce well.wink.gif

In Arizona they have a complex system of irrigation canals. Some have water in them at all times, others are only filled during certain times of the year. Most have dirt or rock bottoms with a many having concrete bottoms. You can catch LMB, SMB, Catfish, Carp, Sunfish, and the canals down stream of resevoirs have Stripers in them. Its pretty interesting to fish these places majority of them are only 20 feet wide.

Tight lines,

Anthony

For me this time of year is a great time to hit up my local sewage plants. Along the rivers here in the Burgh, we have sewage plants with hot water discharge areas that dump into the rivers. The warm water and attract lots of fish.

For years I walked or drove past a small pool sized area on the way to "my pond". One day this past fall, not getting any hits in "my pond" I wandered over to the pool and cast a jig in, just joking around. Wham, a 3-4 lber came out. I caught all of my bass, from that one to 6" and every size inbetween in that pool in November. Now I'll try the pool on the way to the pond. Ya never know.

View Posticon26.gif Some of the ugliest looking places can really produce some nice fish. I've caught some whoppers in about six inches of water.

Yes there it is the black death that accumulates in many of our favorite lakes during the summer.cwm31.gif

View PostThere is a river system near me that dumps into saltwater I have caught some LMBs in near saltwater ( highly brackish areas ) thought that was weird.

Largemouth caught in brackish water are a little more aggressive than those caught elsewher. IMHO

I was raised on a Creek where we would catch a LMB on one cast and catch a redfish on the next. We used a bait called the Yellow Sally(Snagless Sally) with a yellow skirt and gold blade.

The strangest place is a hole just above an earthen dam. It is about 4' in diameter. It holds one(at least) 14 lb LMB with a ton of shiners. I guess that all it does is lie around and suck up shiners. I know because I caught, weighed and released it. C2

On my wedding day in VA, we got married on the riverbank at Seven Bends of the Shenandoah.

I had to be there early so i pulled up a guests chair to edge and in full morning suit I cast tiny jigs to 1/2 lb bass with my dad.