Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
emaxxman

Summer trout fishing...is it done?

8 posts in this topic

I spent 5 hours this morning fishing the Pequest (by the Hatchery) as well as a few other times at Stephen's State Park recently. Each time came back with only a few bites but no fish. I've also noticed that I'm usually the only one out fishing.

Since this is my first year trout fishing, I'm not sure what the patterns are. Is trout fishing basically done for the year? Have the trout fishermen just moved on to other fish?

Does it pick up in October when they're supposed to stock again?

Trout go very deep this time of year in the deepest pools they can find. There is resident stocked trout that live year round even though most peopl think they die they don't. Just hide deep where nobody see's them. In fact this is when the largest trout are caught try dragging a nightcrawler along the bottom with some split shot fish the deep pools and if there there you might be able to get them. This time last year I caught the biggest Brookie of my life in a small stream that ran into a lake. I caught it deep in a pool on a 1/8 ounce white roostertail.

I've been using 1/8 Rooster Tails too. I actually hooked one mid-week but it shook me off as it got close. I fished the Pequest in spots that were almost waist deep. The Musconetcong is really shallow (at least today it was).

What about fishing for trout in lakes/reservoirs? Do they come up shallow in the evening/night?

View PostI've been using 1/8 Rooster Tails too. I actually hooked one mid-week but it shook me off as it got close. I fished the Pequest in spots that were almost waist deep. The Musconetcong is really shallow (at least today it was).

What about fishing for trout in lakes/reservoirs? Do they come up shallow in the evening/night?

It's real tough in resevoirs and lakes usually the trout go all the way out in the middle and kinda suspend near the bottom in the cold water they don't move much at all yet alone make any attempt to come to shore unless there is a creek or any kind of colder water influence they will be there as well or on a deep cliff face near the shore any deep water you can find but I have noticed that the majority of the fish will head straight to the deepest part of the lake and suspend near the bottom a live minnow or crawler over their heads might get them if you can reach them.

I've done well this summer in one particular spot. The Browns jump in the early morning and I've caught a few in 4 days fishing. Two of them on 8/6. I use mostly the trout magnet in white and chartruse.

Two weeks ago I went to another spot and picked up three rainbows on a Joe's fly, but haven't had luck there again since.

Monday morning got a bunch of pan fish and some smallies. Tried another usualy good spot and got nothing. Moved again and switched to a husky jerk in gold and brown. Nailed two Brownies deep in a pool. They must be hungry because they were filled with snails.

You will see far less anglers fishing for trout around now for a couple of reasons. The conservationalist don't fish for trout when the water warms up. Its proven that around 72 degrees (water temp) catching a trout, and releasing it will cause death. Trout are a cold water fish, if you take a fish out of a cold pocket, and bring it into awarm/hot water its lethal.

The other reason, folks who don't care about the water temps believe trout have died off. These folks are often refered to as the "meat hunters", "trunk stalkers", 4 week anglers.

The area you speak of holds fish year round. They can be picky at times, thats a pretty popular spot. I have personally fished there with trout magnets and didn't get diddly while a fly fisherman next to me caught trout after trout, and vice versa.

In short if your catching and releasing......don't fish for trout right now. Wait for a couple days of cool weather and even then fish the mornings only. If your not doing c&r I say try to target the bigger fish so the smaller fish you release don't die.

Just because a fish swims off, it doesn't mean soon there after it wont be belly up.

To answer your question, no......it is not done. I fished the KLG twice in the last week with a total of 30+ mixed trout.

I just change my technique a little bit in the summer. The water has been low, so I fish deeper pools. I'd say over %90 of my fish have been taken TIGHT to larger boulders/rocks.

When the water is low and clear, trout spook easily. Make sure you're not spooking the fish, take a gentle approach and cast from a further distance sometimes.

I hope this helps, tight lines.