Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HatterasJack

Do we have too many people & buggies

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

utilizing the few small oceanfront parks available to the public . . . you know, kinda like "Yellowstone - the public loves it so much they're killing it!"

What's the best way to manage our limited number of parks and beach access?

Using the IBSP topic as an example, what's the answer . . . keep the numbers low with another increase of say $300 or $400 or even $500 for the season? Or maybe the state should assigns a limited number of passes and sells them based on a lottery drawing annually? But that would cut into state revenue if they didn't correspondingly increase the fee.

Maybe charge by the head instead of for the vehicle? And no more annual pass. icon14.gif That would be the fairest for the casual visitor that accesses that resource 6 times a year vs the local who's there every weekend between April and December. That guy really should be paying more - agreed? biggrin.gif

Answers should be interesting.

Good question- maybe this should also be posted in the Beach Buggy forum. Anyone know how the NJBBA feels about this question?

I do know that when I used to have a 4WD and fished CISP, it sure got crowded at times, but never overcrowded. They had a limit on the number of passes issued and some real good Rangers who also loved surf fishing. That's probably the secret.

Simple solution is to fish more at night,don't know how it is down there in Jersey but on Long Island I would guess the day to night ratio of googans is approximately 15:1,and as an added bonus rumor has it big stripers feed more at night too!Please don't mention increased fees, limited access, or lotteries as a solution, access is already on a steady decline and fees are high enough now!

Basically I'm with Diamondwrapper on this one, sorry, but if it's too crowded for you then YOU stay home!

biggrin.gif

If that was aimed at me I'll take it. "IF THE BEACH WAS TO CROWDED FOR YOU STAY HOME"

This is my home and I'm not going anywhere so maybe you should respect the rules and get OFF to the CAMPER zone for the night and let PLUG GUYS roam. And or whoever is FISHING.

wait a minute, please list the rules. are PLUG GUY'S at the top of that list? i fish plugs and i fish clam ball, fishing is fishing! i don't like the bennyS coming down and laying in a hole where i might run them over either, but the attitude that is happening is no better than some one from another area comes to jersey or carolina and builds a house on the beach that i have always fished on and then tells me get off their beach mad.gif its like cattlemen and sheep herders fighting over the same grazing grounds, yes IBSP is sometimes crowded but i always have found a spot to fish comfortably. these guys who want 100 yard to their left and 100yards to their right to be void of another fisherman should wonder if the guy next to him is thinking the same thing.some people fish to unwind and relax, some fish with intensity, who's to say which should go?!! it's a crowded planet get use to it, or move to mar's

I think he was directing it at me. So I'll take the hit, I'm good at it.

I said there is too many people, but I wasnt speaking of beachcombers and surf anglers. I was speaking in general. Just seems theres too many peeps around. I drive around at lunch time, and everybody is out. Seems like nobody works for ******* ****.

I dont surf cast too much anyway, so you dont have to worry about me hogging your spot or getting in your way. I have a great deal of structure where I live, so I choose to stick to the rocks, jetty, or marsh. I'm rarely getting sand in my reel, but I get a little in my shoe when I walk to the jetty smile.gif

[ 02-04-2004, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: Jonny Bolt ]

Maybe charge by the head instead of for the vehicle? And no more annual pass. icon14.gif That would be the fairest for the casual visitor that accesses that resource 6 times a year vs the local who's there every weekend between April and December. That guy really should be paying more - agreed? biggrin.gif

Answers should be interesting....

Yeah, that's just what we need, more caual idiots stuck on the beach. At IBSP enforce the regs, don't have DECENT tackle (no 5ft 30 year old boat rods, min length perhaps?) you can't go on, same for the other required equipment. Also, no surfboards, etc, you want to swim, go to the bathing areas.

You folks are Spoiled. wink.gif Take a trip to the OBX, Hatteras INlet and stand shoulder to shoulder in the Chorus line redface.gif and dont bring any braided line setups or they will cut your throat or cut your line off(literally)....LOL biggrin.gif

Assateague Island in MD has a cutoff when a certain number of vehicles are reached. Then you have to sit in line and wait for access. One comes off and one goes on. They have rangers that ride the beaches and do head counts! I hate it when I get there too late and have to sit in that stupid line, but thats their solution. I am not to sure you folks would like that either. It happens every weeken in the summer time. I tend to do alot more Night fishing in the peak summer months. Just my .02 worth.

AI's ORV Fee is 70 dollars and 20 dollars for a season pass. I dont know if I would appreciate a Fee increase either. cwm13.gif

hooks up,

Forrest

Why not allow conciderably more access allowing everyone enjoyment from a resorce that belongs to the public anyway.So much beach is tied up by the "elite one percent"that it is no wonder we are putting too much pressure on the small amount we are allowed to use. mad.gif Aren't there a few states that allow total access to "our resorce".All of the individuales,clubs etc. should organize a class action suit to reclaim what is ours anyway.People just get creative,finding ways to keep us off "their beach".They deny access and parking.Excuse thr rant but this is a topic that really pisses me off. waaah.gif

Why not allow considerably more access allowing everyone enjoyment from a resource that belongs to the public anyway.So much beach is tied up by the "elite one percent"that it is no wonder we are putting too much pressure on the small amount we are allowed to use. mad.gif Aren't there a few states that allow total access to "our resource".All of the individuals,clubs etc. should organize a class action suit to reclaim what is ours anyway.People just get creative,finding ways to keep us off "their beach".They deny access and parking.Excuse the rant but this is a topic that really pisses me off. waaah.gif

You hit the nail on the head with that thought!

The biggest problem in regards to the untold number of buggies on the beach is the recent fad to own an SUV. Used to be the only people that owned a 4x4 were those that needed it. That in itself limited the amount of people out there. Now that the SUV craze has hit the general public and they have found how nice it is to drive onto the sand and not have to carry their chairs, coolers, etc.... Well, look what has happened.

At the CCNS, there is a limit to the number of seasonal passes allowed sold each year. Used to be that it was never reached. Nowadays, they sell out in 15 days.

I can only hope that the manufacturers continue the trend of offering AWD instead of 4X4 and that a requirement is made to allow 4X4 only. Not that AWD is not useful on the sand but it would remove a significant portion of those who are borderline beach users.

Or... if gas prices rise to the point that most people switch back to economy cars, only those that have a need to use 4x4 will have them.

In any case, it sickens me to drive the beach now only to see 1 in 10 actually fishing. I've had it with the hot dog grilling, beer drinking till you're drunk crowd, that trashes the beach and leaves trash everywhere. Discarded broken chairs, coolers, portable cabanas.... I see it all the time and the people that clean it up are the fishermen.

I'm disgusted!

Are there any regulations on your overcrowded beaches as to how close to the waterline a truck may venture?

Would you be happy if trucks were regulated to a space, say 20' from the dune zone (or equivalent) during the day. Do you think this would give trucks the freedom of mobility and leave the fishing areas free?

Sorry, lots of questions...

Why not allow conciderably more access allowing everyone enjoyment from a resorce that belongs to the public anyway.So much beach is tied up by the "elite one percent"that it is no wonder we are putting too much pressure on the small amount we are allowed to use. mad.gif Aren't there a few states that allow total access to "our resorce".All of the individuales,clubs etc. should organize a class action suit to reclaim what is ours anyway.People just get creative,finding ways to keep us off "their beach".They deny access and parking.Excuse thr rant but this is a topic that really pisses me off.

Well, I think that 'our beach' is defined on a federal level as the area between the low and high water lines which enables people to essentially walk in that area in these so called restricted elitist areas. But that doesn't mean you won't get harassed by the local police dept. a/w/a the residents themselves.

This topic pisses a lot of posters off but for differing reasons. These vehicle access parks are public (somebody brought that point up) and although I access for fishin', should the bbq set be prohibited? confused.gif

If the park only lets 400 vehicles in on any day and the weekends fill up early, should they restrict access on those days to vehicles with more than one person . . . kinda like car pooling? icon14.gif