Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wahoo356

Penn 560L Slammer Live Liner

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I was about to purchase this reel until I found out it is made in China. Unfortunately, it is often difficult to find just about anything today that is not made in China. Comments on the quality of Penn reels from China would be appreciated.

Thanks, Wyatt B.

Van Staals are now made in China too. Don't let that turn you off. But I must say that my liveliner and my Van Staals are USA models. I don't believe that China models of either reels negativley affected them.

Except for pride....

Unfortunately you're not going to be able to avoid it.

Nobody is producing affordable saltwater spinning reels in the US at this point.

Penn at least is a US based company if that makes you feel better (relative to Japanese companies like Daiwa or Shimano and Chinese ones like Okuma).

The quality of the reels is fine. The newer Penns unfortunately use cheap cast aluminum gears, but that's not a function of being made in China, even the US made Slammers used them.

You want a baitrunner, eh?

You can buy one made in China, or you can buy one maide in Malaysia, or maybe Taiwan. Until the Penn Torque spinner hits the shelves, the only US-made spinning reels of any kind (as far as I know) are Zeebaas and Accurate. You have to hit a big superfecta at the track to afford a Zeebass, and the accurate spinners are not much cheaper (they're also offshore reels, and not really suitable for surf use).

If you really want to stick to US-made goods, look in the BST for a US-made Slammer 560 Liveliner. They're around (I have one, and no, you can't have it); in fact there's a 460 for sale there right now. But in all honesty, other than the "Made in USA" stamp, I can't notice the difference between US-made and China-made Penn spinning reels. If you like the reel otherwise, then go for it -- don't let the fact that it's made in China put you off, because as guys here posted, it's impossible to avoid these days.

I have a Slammer 560 and a 650 SSM, both made in China, both solid. I also have a couple Shimano baitrunners 4500B and I like them a lot. Great deal for around 100.

I didn't notice any major difference between the American Slammers and Chinese slammers. Same parts, Chinese had better lubing, haven't had any major problems with either.

That being said I do like to buy American when I can.........

I have a 560 Slammer I bought a few years ago. Not sure if it's American or Chinese, but I'm guessing it isn't American as they love to stamp that everywhere on the reels, and mine doesn't say it. It is also about 3-4 years old, if you know when they switched to China. That being said, I LOVE this reels, and it is the only piece of fishing equipment I own that I haven't managed to break yet.wink.gif In the amount of time I owned it, I've dunked it in the ocean, have had it sprayed over and over as I fish from a jetty, I have washed it down enough times to count, which isn't really good seeing as I fish it heavily every weekend, and the only thing I've done to it was stripped and greased it ONCE and replaced a handle because the rubber thingy wore out and fell off, and the reel still works amazingly. (is that a word? cwm27.gif)

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that the Slammer is an excellent reel and I don't see why the Liveliner would be any different.