Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
biggstriper

What's your favorite method for cooking "Striper"?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I brought some to work and someone's going to grill it up in lemon juice and pepper. He also brought some Au Gratin Potato's (did I spell that right?). :-P

I usually just dip the fillets in some breading and deep fry them.

I usually cut the fillet into a long steak about 2 inches across and 8-10 inches long.. I'll put it into a pyrex dish and broil it in my favorite marinade which is the same one I use for blackfish.. Either that or I'll do the same except I'll cut the steak into stew sized cubes and then serve it over rice.. I actually love to eat striper.. But I probably keep one a year..

Hey, we have a small grill and set it up outside on a picnic table. He put foil on the grill and rubbed butter on it then sprinkled lemon pepper on the fillets. We let it cook for about 15 minutes and the fillets were delicious with the Au Gratin potatoes. smile.gif

Actually, am making some tonight......

Fillets, skin on

Few tablespoons mustard

Few tablespoons mayo

Old Bay

Minced garlic

A splash of white wine

Tarragon, oregano, thyme, or all three

Olive oil

Paprika

Lemon juice

Combine all to make a "dressing". It should be moderately thick.

Take the fillets, skin side up, and make a few shallow cross cuts thru the skin. Place the fillets in a pyrex baking dish.

Spoon on about 1/2 of the dressing, pushing it into the slits.

Turn the fillets over, pierce all over with a fork, and then spoon on the rest of the dressing.

Let sit in the fridge for an hour up to three hours.

If grilling, heat he grill, and use a fish basket if you have one.

Brush some of the dressing on the grill grates or the fish basket so the fish won't stick.

Place the fillets on, and cook about 20 minutes (depending on thickness), turning every 4-5 minutes and basting on every turn with the extra dressing from the marinading dish. You should turn the fish 3-4 times. DON'T OVER COOK.....the fillets should just barely flake.

Serve.....

Or, if not grilling, sprinkle the top of the fish in the pyrex tray with some breadcrumbs. Put a few dabs of butter on top, or sprinkle with olive oil, and more paprika.

Bake in a 400 oven for about 20-25 minutes, again, depending on thickness.....

Serve

And BTW, if you go to the Cooking Your Catch Forum and search for striper recipes, you'll find an abundance of them, including the one I just posted..... smile.gif

i usually prepare it as basically as possible since it has a good natural flavor, olive oil some herbs and broil as necessar for size of fillet..

i also like to do a wasabi broil to, thatsgood with out covering up the flavor of the meat too much..

blue fish i like to use adobo and lime or this fish rub i got out on long island, kind of liek old bay but better..

Fishing Tip of the Day?

That ended on 12/31/2004......the calendar I got them from ran out.....I bought the 2005 Calendar (it's sitting right here next to the computer), but it was all the same tips, just in a different order, so I didn't wanna do THAT again..... redface.gif

Couldn't find another pertinent one, so.....

Maybe come 1/1/06, I'll have found one that would be fitting, and I can torture you all once again...... tongue.gif

I brought some to work and someone's going to grill it up in lemon juice and pepper. He also brought some Au Gratin Potato's (did I spell that right?). :-P

I usually just dip the fillets in some breading and deep fry them.

Howdy BIG,

I have a batterer that has a grate between the 2 halves. I put brown flour,adobo,black pepper,some bayou[cajun] seasoning,dry lemon zest processed potato chips and processed[la machined] ritz crackers in my batterer.

then I fillet,de-red meat the fillet then cut it into nugget size pieces and deep fry them,you better not get in my way cause I will throw my pot of hot grits all over you.

now you talk about something that will fill you up for 5-8 hours,,,,,

what I just described to ya will do just that!!!

I want some right now,,

cheers

I heart.gif Deep fried fish & Grits,,