Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lombo

Treble vs. Single hook.

13 posts in this topic

Thinking about swapping my trebles out with single hooks temporarily to see if it really makes a difference with hook removal. Is it true your number of catches will decrease by doing this? I can see why it would but I wanted to see if anyone else had tried this and what effect it had.

I've modified numerous plugs with single hooks, particularly larger saltwater varieties that have three sets of trebles. For freshwater I did this on some of my jitterbugs for the sole reason being that the two trebles often got hooked on eachother, and it was a pain in the arse trying to disconnect them in the dark. mad.gif

Didn't notice any significant reduction in hookups in either case. Maybe slightly, but not enough to deter me from using single hooks should the situation warrant it.

View PostAre you speaking about fresh water? Because i cannot see myself changing a treble to a single hook and upping my hook up rate..

Who said anything about upping it?

There are some valid reasons to do it in both fresh and salt. None of which would be to increase your hookup ratio. That's just crazy.

In the instance I mentioned in freshwater, I changed them over for a very specific reason, and noticed no significant drop in the number of strikes vs fish I caught. The same could be said in saltwater when I've switched over because I was sick of yanking 9 trebles out of a bluefish's face every 2 minutes. cwm27.gif

Unless you had a very specific reason to do this...i.e. Regulation on a body of water or to minimize snags in heavy cover(not a real good reason) I wouldn't do it.

When was the last time you saw KVD do it?

View PostWho said anything about upping it?

There are some valid reasons to do it in both fresh and salt. None of which would be to increase your hookup ratio. That's just crazy.

In the instance I mentioned in freshwater, I changed them over for a very specific reason, and noticed no significant drop in the number of strikes vs fish I caught. The same could be said in saltwater when I've switched over because I was sick of yanking 9 trebles out of a bluefish's face every 2 minutes. cwm27.gif

I misread his post... i was gonna say, it didnt sound right lol

I would rather have a good sharp single barbless.Barbless hooks penetrate better. I have had a lot of shake offs on trouble hooks very few with a single in the lip deep.

View Postfor freshwater what single hooks would work work? smaller swiash hooks?

I depends on what is on there now. The same size hook wont work for all baits. Changing out the hooks on crankbaits can make a big difference in how the bait will work especially with suspending jerkbaits.

If I was going to switch them out I would try and find a hook that is about the same weight as the ones on there now.

I agree with the comment "don't do it unless you have a specific reason to." With pliers always on my waist, I never have trouble releasing a lure hooked fish pretty quickly.

I fish some large spinners with a single hook to avoid snags. Trebles on those seem to reach out and grab everything. I've also trimmed the hooks off the belly treble of some of my Rapala DT's (dives to). I do a lot of bank fishing, and they can snag. Similarly, when I fish blade baits (Sonic) in the Delaware I'll trim that bottom hook off both the belly and tail hook to fish near the bottom and minimize snag.

I had problems with the fish knocking the hook to the side of the plug on the strike. Almost no hookups.frown.gif a good compromise i found was to clip the 2 side hooks of the treble and leave the one thats centered on the plug. The 2 side hooks just keep the catching hook from getting knocked to the side of the plug. If you wanted to im sure you could weld or glue a piece of wire to the sides of the single hook so it would stay down on the strike. I did buy some trebles that had a huge center hook and 2 small side hooks. I have't tried them but im sure they work. I will add a photo if needed.