Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BW

plug abusing bluefish........

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I put a new read head 2 1/2 oz Gibbs polaris through the motions last week. It got a workout on 50+ yellow eyed deamons in the 8# to 10# class. The tail hook dressing lasted about 2 fish, and the paint job is mangled biggrin.gif , but I was suprised to see a good crack starting from the wire hole in the head, all the way down to the neck. Has anybody else had fish crack a wood plug..?? I am positive it did not hit any rocks, and most fish were hung on the tail hook, but there were a few good gashes up by the head....just wondering if I got a defective plug.. confused.gif

50 8 to 10 lb blue bastages and there's still some wood left?? That's some workout for that plug. I have some Gibbs pencils that you wouldn't believe, thanks to old razor-lips. That's what they'll do to your plugs!!!

50 8 to 10 lb blue bastages and there's still some wood left?? That's some workout for that plug.

I guess I am used to throwing super strike plugs at them, the show was well worth sacrificing one plug though... biggrin.gif

BW... it wasn't the blues, rocks etc. that put a crack in your Gibbs. It was Gibbs' poor materials. I have had more than a few of their plugs develop cracks and I think the quality of their plugs is going downhill. They suck.

They probably stripped the paint, the plug took on water, expanded, and it cracked.

I'd avoid throwing a nice wood polaris into big blues to start with though...unless you knew you could pick some bass out of there or just had it in for your plug...there are a ton of bullet proof poppers out there that can withstand the abuse of slammer blues, cheaper ones too than a $10-12 polaris..