Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eternityx3

Cutco fisherman's fillet knife

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Ahhh this I do know about. The friend that gave me my surf rod (and pretty much taught me how to fish) had one of these knives. The way it looked was enough to win me over.

I can't compare it to any other name brand fillet knives, simply because I've never used another one before; just some cheap ones that might've been in a friend's tackle box.

I used the Fisherman's Solution knife on the maybe 4-5 trips I took with him that we weight and baited. It's sharp, and has a built in knife sharpener. The tong feature is pretty nifty too.

I remember the last time we used it, because it was the night that the blade broke. The blade was pretty darn flexible, and because it's a Cutco blade, I think my friend took liberties in how he was using it. We were at Solomon's Pier in Maryland fishing for croakers, and one of our bottom rigs hooked a toadfish that completely swallowed the squid. So we went to work with the knife, trying to saw the toadfish in half to get it off.

The friend got frustrated after a little while, stabbing at the toadfish, when BAM! the blade snapped. We just stopped and stared at the blade, and he says "Oh well, I'll just send it back and get it replaced."

Tough knife though.

The knife is SHARP! I almost do not like using it because it will cut through you like butter. I have used it to get through trigger fish, and that is like trying to get through steel. PLEASE, do not use the tip to puncture things. I almost broke it trying to poke through the trigger fish's skin. Use the sharpness of the knife because it is sharp. It is also very flexible and it is made by an awesome company.

My wife had my name put on mine. I guess that means I have to stick to stabbing fish.

Peace

It can be as flexible as you need it to be by extending the blade.

And yeah it's sharp, first fishing trip with a group from here... We had a good day and all caught fish. When I got back to the rental property I was filleting the fish. My Cutco knife took the meat on my left thumb from the bottom of the nail to the tip and flipped it over. Quick, clean and painless...until I realized what I had done.

Still have it and still use it.

View Post

The friend got frustrated after a little while, stabbing at the toadfish, when BAM! the blade snapped. We just stopped and stared at the blade, and he says "Oh well, I'll just send it back and get it replaced."

Tough knife though.

Poetic justice if you ask me .. too bad he didnt stick himself too .

Thats not what fishing is about . I dont care if it was a Skate , you should have cut the line and let the fish live frown.gif

Shame on ya !

A great knife, but not so great "gripper" (it's useless in my opinion). Anyway my brother has mine and keeps on thanking me for giving it to him. ???? I left it on your boat Steve I didn't give it to you. Oh well.