Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerseystriper

Replace/repair broken double pane window

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Gentleman,

My 5 year old tossed his buzz lightyear at one of my windows inside the house. The inside pane of the double pane window broke. I have removed most of this pane. I can not figure out how to remove the whole pane in order to have it replaced. The window looks old and is all wood. It slides up and down on a aluminum rail. There is no brand name that i can find. Do I have to remove the whole inside frame in order to to pop the window frame out? or is there an easier way. Anyone who fixes windows in Monmouth county is free to post up or p/m with an est. to fix it. Thank you.

Without seeing it, this is how I would go about it:

Remove the stop molding from the inside of the window, on one side only.

Then lower the upper sash and find the staples that hold the alum. in.

Remove the staples. Now raise the lower and upper sash up and remove the lower staples. You should now be able to rotate the the upper and lower sash out together along with the alum. track. You may want to mark the track position with a pencil so when you put it back in, you will have a reference point. You'll need to take the broken one to a glass shop and let them replace it. In the meantime. Put the good sash back in, and tack the track back in place, by the reverse with the good sash. Cover the hole till ya get the window back, usually a week. Foam core from an arts and craft works great. Good lucksmile.gif