Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striperboy10

plug colors

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

View Postwhat are the best colors for plugs during the day? also what size danny plug is best? does anyone fish fin s's ive been reading alot about them and they seem good

The most effective color in the day can depend on many factors - the water color, clarity, bait present, brightness of the day, etc. - however, generally lighter colors work best in daytime - whites, yellows, chartreuse.

There is no "best" size danny plug, or any plug for that matter. The best size is the one the fish eats - it could be big, small, somewhere in the middle. Sometimes a small plug works best if there's small bait around, sometimes it doesn't and the bass want something big. Every situation is different - let the fish tell you what they want.

A lot of people fish Fin-S soft plastics. They can be used with just a hook in them, rigged with 2 hooks, on a lead head, or as a trailer on a bucktail jig. Like everything else, they can be effective sometimes and not effective other times, but it doesn't hurt to keep a few in your bag. try them out, see what works for you in the places you fish. Like I said, the fish will tell you what they want icon14.gif

If there was a "best lure", we'd have every tube in all our plug bags filled with just one lure. Take that advice about color, but if you want to simplify, I'd go with white, yellow, and black. The medium Dannys (c. 2oz) are a good bet, but there are times when the smaller one is better, and times when the larger is better. Get the medium, and you should be alright in the majority of situations (that is...situations in which a Danny is appropriate).

I'd also pack a pencil popper, a subsurface lure of some kind, a bucktail, and maybe a sluggo.

White or yellow, unless it's a needle, then it would be black, whit, or yellow. If I could only carry a single color, it'd be yellow.

If I could only have one size Danny, it would be about as big as the 2 ounce Gibbs.

These suggestions are based on my experience in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Probably differs if you go somewhere else.wink.gif

I had a 2 oz. Gibbs Danny that I'd tuned just right, caught night and day on it reliably. Won a tournament or 2 with it, then lost it out of my plug bag when I got trashed by a wave at Cuttyhunk. Lesson: every plug has it's own personality. Don't generalize, and don't get hooked on the old "white for day, black for night" philosophy. Break the "rules", and let the bass tell you what they want, they don't go by the same advice we do.