Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skate Bait

Driver in NY wrong way crash that killed 8 was drunk, high

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

The woman who drove a van with five children wrong way 1.7 miles (some 2.74 kilometers) on a New York parkway last week and crashed into another vehicle killing eight people altogether was drunk and high on marijuana, officials said on Tuesday. Diane Schuler, 36, of West Babylon on Long Island in the U.S. state of New York, had a blood alcohol level "more than twice the legal limit," according to the toxicology report prepared by the Westchester County Medical Examiner's office.

"In addition, the report indicates that the driver was operating the vehicle while impaired by marijuana," said Janet DeFiore, district attorney (DA) of Westchester County, just north of New York City.

"My office, along with the New York State Police, will continue to investigate the facts and circumstances that led up to the collision causing the deaths, so that the public and the families of the victims can understand what lead to this horrific crash," the DA said in a statement obtained by Xinhua.

Schuler was driving her two children and three nieces home on the morning of July 26 from a camping trip upstate in the Catskill Mountains to their homes on Long Island when she became disoriented, police reported at the time.

She ended up driving 1.7 miles (some 2.74 kilometers) southbound in the northbound lanes of the Taconic Parkway before slamming head-on into another SUV carrying three men from Yonkers, immediately north of New York City. All but one person in the two vehicles were killed.

The sole survivor was Schuler's 5-year-old son, Bryan.

Schuler, her daughter and three nieces were buried on Thursday.

When I read about such tradgedies, I, for the life of me, can not fathom, how some still drive while under the influence. They not only put themselves in harm's way, but others. Truly unbelievable. And there will be other cases as this. I just don't get it anymore.

May they all rest in peace. And may the good Lord watch over and protect that little boy.

there's more to this story, why does a mom with no history go off like that ?

the husband knows more than he's telling, sad sad tragedy ... a lesson to all.

That's not like "2 glasses of wine with the girls" BAC, that's "hitting the vodka in the back of the tent" drunk.

Apparently, the dad saw the mom not long before, and took the family dog for a ride or something (irrelevant) and mom HAD to be lit at that point, so why'd he let her drive with all the kids in the vehicle?

View Postthere's more to this story, why does a mom with no history go off like that ?

the husband knows more than he's telling, sad sad tragedy ... a lesson to all.

I agree..To just go on a ripper all of a sudden?Theres alot more on this one.Sad

Im physically Ill over this.

BAC of .19? thats like 10 shot of vodka in a little over an hour.. *** was she thinknig. oh hey, lemme smoke an s-load of pot, chug half bottle of vodka before I drive my brothers kids home from upstate NY.

I dont get people.

View PostIm physically Ill over this.

BAC of .19? thats like 10 shot of vodka in a little over an hour.. *** was she thinknig. oh hey, lemme smoke an s-load of pot, chug half bottle of vodka before I drive my brothers kids home from upstate NY.

I dont get people.

They also found a opened bottle of vodka at the crash scene that was broken. It also looks like she smoked within an hour of the crash. Then there is all the eye witnesses who saw her driving agressively and recklessly immediately before the crash.

From what I read this morning, the family has not been very cooperative with the police investigation so far. Looks like that will change when the family members of the three guys in the SUV file a civil suit.

When something like this happens, no one wants to be the one who rats her out with all the out pouring of sympathy to the victims. However, it will all come out in the wash. The husband knows exactly what went on behind closed doors.

View PostThey also found a opened bottle of vodka at the crash scene that was broken.

Not just any bottle but a 1.75

I just can't even grasp this...How immensely tragic.

View PostWhen I read about such tradgedies, I, for the life of me, can not fathom, how some still drive while under the influence. They not only put themselves in harm's way, but others. Truly unbelievable. And there will be other cases as this. I just don't get it anymore.

May they all rest in peace. And may the good Lord watch over and protect that little boy.

Makes me want to cry and scream at the same time.

Criminally reckless disregard for human life.

I'm thinking she made a conscious decision to commit suicide, and take those poor kids with her, for God knows what reason. These senseless tragedies do happen. Some years back, here in Fairfield, a confused and distraught mother, led her six young children deliberately down the railroad track, where all were struck and killed by an oncoming train. There was no rhyme nor reason to it. frown.gifcrying.gif

I wish to hell, that people who wish to take their own lifes, would do so without harming other innocents. I find this unfathomable. confused.gif

I, too, am finding this Taconic Parkway tragedy particularly unsettling. crying.gif

View PostCriminally reckless disregard for human life.

I'm thinking she made a conscious decision to commit suicide,

More like murder.

Ahh, I'm driving home from upstate New York, heading south. Gee, somthing don't look right with this road. Good weed.

View PostDoesn't sound like suicide to me. Just complete idiocy.

I don't know about that, even a complete idiot would have to know you can't drink like she did, have a few bones, and think that you can still drive safely.