Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shoopie

fishing log?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

i know a lot of guys keep fishing logs, recording all info for a certain trip. moon, tide, wind, time, weather. i dont keep a log but would you guys recommend that i keep one? interested to see what guys think about them.

It is definitely a good idea. It would help you to figure out the conditions in which each of your fishing spots produces best, which spots to fish when, and how to fish them. Written info is always more reliable than memory.

Don't forget to include date, moon phase, wind speed and direction, recent weather, fish caught, lure/bait/fly, baitfish presence, and observations

I think yur log will become one of the best tool you posses. As the years of keeping logs progress you will begin to see patterns, conditions, migration times of both fish and bait, the best tides, and what spots fish best under what conditions. This will alow you to mve from location to location as conditions unfold and become more sucessful.

I bit of advise. Write in your log as soon as possible after your fishing session is comlpete. Waiting even a day or so "for me" causes some of the details to either be forgotten or not documented.

When I first started hammerheading for striper, I started with my freshwwater bass rig, to graduate up another notch to Benny's combo. That combo still wasn't good enough. Long story short , I've evolved from going fishing at all different times, to now, being able to precisely predict days that are what you'd call, call in dead days. The evolution has everything to do with logging data. You will see patterns repeat themselves for sure!! FYI, one incident that I didn't record, (still a hammer head, or googan at that point) was a night on the water where My wife, another couple and myself witnessed 50inch long bass breaking. The gear I use now, I could of cast to, and have fought these guys. My wife will tell you that to this day, I bring that up when I fish because the memory haunts me, I can't go back to a log to see if I could predict a repeat eventshakehead.gif . If you don't log,kooky.gif you will prolong your evolution, I guarantee it!

Your question has been asked a couple of times. Use the search button and you'll find some good threads. I cut and pasted the shot below from one of the boards. Looks like overkill to me, but at least it starts you thinking about the kinds of data to record.

I started writing a log about 3 years ago. At first I thought I would not do it too much writing after fishing, but in time it's become my go to book for information. I write down stream conditions, hatches (size and color), weather (I'm a meteorologist so that's a given), fish caught (when and where). It's really a great way to create a reference for future fishing outings. If you want to start inexpensive, I use a hard bound black journal I found at one of the major bookstore chains. It was only 6 bucks and is sturdy as heck. I also keep a moleskin travel size notebook with me as well while on the stream for notes. Works great.

Hey Ryan,

GoogleFishing Logs & you can see many examples. There is even a printable log that you can print & copy.Log's are a great thing to have.Take note's & pay attention of everything you do & let me know when you catch something on my flies! LOL I want Pictures also.wink.gif ..............Ron

keeping a fishing log will make you a better fisherman by far. i tried it out a couple years ago, and when i went to look back on it, it really helped me out. some things i wrote down in my log was,

weather

time of day you caught fish

moon phase

what you caught and on what

my biggest catch of the day

tides(if i was fishing salt)