Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cantilever

Toomer lands in Kansas City

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Good luck Toomer.

Top performer for the G Men for a pretty long time.

The 34-year-old owner of many of the Giants’ receiving records signed today with the Kansas City Chiefs. That means he’ll get a shot at his old teammates in Week 4, when the Giants visit Kansas City on Oct. 4.

Toomer had a respectable 48 catches for 580 yards and four touchdowns last season. But he wasn’t resigned by the Giants because they wanted to go in a younger direction with their receiving corps. Toomer wasn’t surprised because, as he said at the Super Bowl in January, he believed the Giants coaching staff had an “agenda” late last season to phase him out and work the younger players in.

Despite his belief that he still could be a No. 1 receiver in the NFL, Toomer attracted no interest in the free agent market. According to a source, he never gave any thought to retirement and always believed some team would sign him at some point during training camp.

good for him.. it was a great giant.. I hoped they kept him, but I think they need to move forward. If he stayed another couple of guys would have seen much less playing time and the giants would have had to cut a player to keep him.. that means either manningham, or moss would be cut and barden would prolly spend the year on the practice squad.

good for him, I hope he has a good year!!

hopefully, he'll have 4-5 drops in week 4.

BC

Did the Giants sign a free agent WR and I missed it? Otherwise, given their situation, Id have thought they would have signed him to a one year deal at least for insurance, if not to start.

View PostDid the Giants sign a free agent WR and I missed it? Otherwise, given their situation, Id have thought they would have signed him to a one year deal at least for insurance, if not to start.

The Giants have too many receivers on the roster. They have plenty of guys like Toomer, maybe not as clutch as Toomer, but typical possesion guys.

The young guys need to be on the field if they are ever going to contribute they way it was thought they would when they were drafted. While I dont like it, I can understand why the Giants moved on. I think there is more upside on a young guy then a guy on his downward trend...

That being said I have not yet seen one of the young guys show me they have the ability to play consistantly well. They wont have an axcuse this year, its put up or shut up time, we could see a purge if they dont get the job done..

View Post

That being said I have not yet seen one of the young guys show me they have the ability to play consistantly well. They wont have an axcuse this year, its put up or shut up time, we could see a purge if they dont get the job done..

Toomer=Smith

View PostToomer=Smith

Smith showed some stuff, but not consistantly.... He had a hard time getting open plenty of times..

Thats why I said they have the pieces, but they have to prove it, I dont see how any of them have proved anything....

View PostSmith showed some stuff, but not consistantly.... He had a hard time getting open plenty of times..

Thats why I said they have the pieces, but they have to prove it, I dont see how any of them have proved anything....

Agreed. It will be an interesting pre season to see which receiver wants it the most..

Smith

Hixon

Manningham

Moss

Barden

Nicks

View PostSmith showed some stuff, but not consistantly.... He had a hard time getting open plenty of times..

Smith is a slot receiver.. he got pushed into X or Y reciver hole last year and wasnt as effective. Hixon should start with Hicks.. Smith should be the 3rd guy.. he can get open consistently against any nickle or dime CB. Thats how hes effective. he did a great job at that in the past. hes grea ton 3rd too.

Bc

View PostSmith is a slot receiver.. he got pushed into X or Y reciver hole last year and wasnt as effective. Hixon should start with Hicks.. Smith should be the 3rd guy.. he can get open consistently against any nickle or dime CB. Thats how hes effective. he did a great job at that in the past. hes grea ton 3rd too.

Bc

Smith was good on 3rd down for sure. But was a bit absent besides that. I agree, he wasnt where he should have been. Thats why Toomer is gone..

Should be interesting preseason like said before.