Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kross57

Need MV Info

9 posts in this topic

I am hauling the kayak up to Martha's Vineyard for a week in mid September. Any info on launch spots, things to look out for, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Post here or shoot me a pm.

Thanks!

View PostI am hauling the kayak up to Martha's Vineyard for a week in mid September. Any info on launch spots, things to look out for, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Post here or shoot me a pm.

Thanks!

What type of vehicle do you have? If you have 4WD and the OSV permits you can launch just about anywhere on East Beach of Chappy. Be careful of the loose sugar sand around Arruda Point. The area from the light house to the jetties around dawn would be good for the speedsters, albie and bones and maybe some spanish mackerel. Cape Pogue bay isn't half bad either. Then there is Lobsterville which if you get there early and grab a parking space can be done with a 2WD vehicle. Good luck - good time to be there.

Reaux

Lots of places to launch from up there depending on what the wind is doing. State Beach (between Edgartown and Oaks Bluff) is another area to check out. Plenty of parking along the road there and a short drag to the water.

You may want to try the end of Fuller st in Edgartown. There are only 3-4 spots to park and a short drag down to the water. Once you hit the water it's a short paddle to Edgartown harbor Albie's and maybe some Bonito that time of year.

If you don't have a ORV permit, there are two launches on Chappy:

- Dykes Bridge. That will be a bit of a paddle from there to the Gut.

- Wasque Ave. That is a short paddle to the breach, but you'd best be very, very careful around the breach -- very dangerous water.

There is plenty of parking near South Beach in Edgartown, but expect plenty of waves, so you might not want to launch there.

Wow! Thanks so much for the info. It will help. I do have a 4wd. Also, I don't mind a surf launch as long as the waves aren't monstrous.

The place we are renting is right on Vineyard Haven Sound. Is there anything worthwhile in the sound or close to it?

View PostWow! Thanks so much for the info. It will help. I do have a 4wd. Also, I don't mind a surf launch as long as the waves aren't monstrous.

You can get an ORV permit for Cape Poge from Trustees: http://www.thetrustees.org/pages/286...ife_refuge.cfm

Not cheap, but Cape Poge is spectacular, and gives you access to Wasque (you don't want to kayak here, but surf fishing is good), East Beach, north beach by the lighthouse, Cape Poge Bay, the Cape Pogue Gut, Pocha Pond, etc. There is always a place with very low surf on Cape Poge -- just drive to the lee side.

If you are bringing a significant other who prefers to lay out on the beach, she'll probably love Cape Poge. Very quiet after Labor Day. You will need to bring the usual beach driving equipment -- jack, tow-strap, board or jack plate of some sort, tire pressure gauge, etc.

I'll be there the first two weeks of September. I don't have a kayak, so can't help you there, but might be able to give you a pointer or two. Send me a PM. I do most of my fishing at night, however, often after the On-Time ferry stops running.

Here's some pictures from Chappy:

Dawn at Dyke's Bridge, on the first day of the Derby:

DSC_0077.jpg

Sunset looking out into Katama Bay, at the breach on Norton Point Beach:

DSC_0162.jpg

Sunrise at the Cape Poge Gut:

DSC_0045.jpg

This is how quiet East Beach on Cape Poge often is during September:

DSC_0008.jpg