Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassNuts

Wrought Iron Railings

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

The wrought iron railing on my front steps needs to be refinished. There is a lot of peeling paint with rust underneath. What is the best way to remove the old paint? Some type of wire wheel or would a heat gun and scraping be better. I plan on using POR on it after I clean it up. I heard sand-blasting will work, but that's a mess I'd rather not have to deal with. Thanks in advance.

Theres a guy in my town who sandblasts stuff on an hourly basis. I'll bet you have a guy like that too. By far the most thorough, and fastest. Probably would end up costing less than buying paint stripper and sandpaper.

yeah sand blasting is the best way. cleans it completely then you can refinish it. you get a better longer lasting results. Weve had all the radiators in our house sand blasted and refinished over the years.

one thing, when you blast it, scrap it whatever you end up doing, you need to get it refinished quick. It will get surface rust on it quickly. By refinsihed quick I mean like the same day.

View PostProbably would end up costing less than buying paint stripper and sandpaper.

I can't image that to be the case.... but if so, go for it! It' not difficult to do, a little tedious doing old school. But you guys have a blaster at that kind of price, I'd be planning a surf day beers.gif (Or something) naughty.gif

I have done it both ways; go with the sand blaster!!!!!!!!!!!

You can rent a small one by the 1/2 day at your local tool rental shop or home depot pretty cheap if you ewant to do it yourself.

When you set up drape the back anc bottom of the work with a heavy blanket or tarp. The sand, paint and junk drops onto it and clean-up is easy. Bedt part is you are back to raw iron to do your finishing wotk and it will look 100% new.

Good luck.

Sorry to jump in late here - check with your local powder coater. The company I use here in CT has a $150 minimum, not that much when you consider the hours your gonna spend prepping, priming, and painting. Any powder coater will blast/prep anything they paint...though you should check with them to make sure. If you have to cut the anchor bolts to get the rails off make sure you drill new anchor bolt holes in the rails before you have them painted so you won't have to drill and expose freshly coated metal when you get them back.

Also, if they tell you it's gonna be within "their minimum order" try adding more stuff, like reels, sand spikes, metal furniture etc. until you've got your monies worth from them. good luck!