Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wahoo356

Penn Slammer Live Liner

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

In my search for a new saltwater spinning reel I have come across the Penn

Slammer. Looks like a fine reel. The two larger sizes are available with a "Live

Liner" feature. I often surf fish with live bait. The literature says the live liner feature is good feature to have when using live bait. However, it does not

explain how this works. Back in my deep sea fishing days with large level wind reels I would allow the fish to run with the bait before locking the reel

to set the hook. How does this work on a spinning reel? Comments on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Wyatt Blankingship

I believe this system is similiar to the Shimano Baitrunner set-up. It has a dual drag system. The live-liner system has an indepedent adjustable lighter drag, so when the fish picks up the bait it feels no tension and can swallow and begin swimming away. However, you will hear the live liner drag screaming and you run and pick up the rod. Before you set the hook, you can crank the handle, which engages the regular drag, and wham now have the regular drag set-up. Both of the drags have different adjustable knobs to adjust the drag.

I have a live liner and like it. I don't use it a lot (since I'm a plugga) but it's nice tool to have. It's a pretty tough reel and I've have no problems with mine. It's even been dunked a few times.

Turning the handle doesn't disengage the second drag. It must be done manually. In other words.... when a fish is on, you flip the switch and then set the hook. Unless Penn recently changed their design, this is the way the live liners work. I don't look at that as a draw back. I personally like the live liners over the baitrunners but that's just me.

My bad, I know if you turn the reel on the baitrunner it disengages the baitrunning drag and starts the main drag. Like Night owl said, you must manually flip the live liner drag off. Personally, I would much rather buy a shimano baitrunner just because they are bullet-proof and I have a man-crush on shimanosmile.gif, but that is just my personal opinion.

View PostI believe this system is similiar to the Shimano Baitrunner set-up. It has a dual drag system. The live-liner system has an indepedent adjustable lighter drag, so when the fish picks up the bait it feels no tension and can swallow and begin swimming away. However, you will hear the live liner drag screaming and you run and pick up the rod. Before you set the hook, you can crank the handle, which engages the regular drag, and wham now have the regular drag set-up. Both of the drags have different adjustable knobs to adjust the drag.

Thanks for the explanation. This reel looks like a very good candidate for my

needs. Wyatt B.

View PostMy bad, I know if you turn the reel on the baitrunner it disengages the baitrunning drag and starts the main drag. Like Night owl said, you must manually flip the live liner drag off. Personally, I would much rather buy a shimano baitrunner just because they are bullet-proof and I have a man-crush on shimanosmile.gif, but that is just my personal opinion.

Thanks for your input. I'll also take a look at the Shimano Baitrunner.

Wyatt b.

View PostI have a live liner and like it. I don't use it a lot (since I'm a plugga) but it's nice tool to have. It's a pretty tough reel and I've have no problems with mine. It's even been dunked a few times.

Turning the handle doesn't disengage the second drag. It must be done manually. In other words.... when a fish is on, you flip the switch and then set the hook. Unless Penn recently changed their design, this is the way the live liners work. I don't look at that as a draw back. I personally like the live liners over the baitrunners but that's just me.

Thanks for your explanation. This was a big help. Wyatt B.

Its a nice feature to have bait fishing.

One nice plus of a baitrunner type reel is that if you fish the rod in a sand spike, a large fish is less likely to pull the spike over with the baitrunner drag engaged (since line will pay out).

View PostFYI- The newer Penn Slammer Liveliners do automatically engage the main drag when cranking the handle, there has been a design change. The older ones did not.

which is why I like my older reels (two 5600L & 1 4600L)

if you don't flip the switch you can take up slack while remaining in "liveline" mode

they engage the "fighting" drag as soon as you flip the switch

Knowing they changed their design makes me like my older 5600L all the more. There are times I do reel in slack with the small drag engaged.

They shoulda left the design alone but Penn probably wanted to add one more feature to help it sell not telling you of the features drawbacks. Isn't that how most advertising works? Advertisers love to tell you about the pros but never the cons. BASTAGES!

Some like manual shift trannys and some like automatics but there will always be things you can do with a manual that you can't do with an auto. In the end it's taster's choice.

I have a newer 460 live liner and I love it. I don't do a lot of bait fishing, but when I do it's my go-to reel. The automatic trip lever is great- no problems at all. I highly recommend this reel for live or deadsticking baits.