Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

The Disappearance of Locking Diffs

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

What has happened to the locking differential and low range????? I can't believe how many SUVs have lost'em. Gone from the Explorer, and (apparently)gone from a lot of other vehicles. I may have to got to a P/U w/cab just to get a damn locking diff, which annoys the hell out of me ....the Explorer NBX has 4WD as opposed to AWD, so the brochure says: if the rear wheels slip, power is diverted to the front. Welllll, what the hell is the difference between that and AWD, without locking things up? More weirdness. The Explorer has 88 cu. ft. of cargo space (mind, these are Edmunds' figures) and the 4runner has 72. No surprise there, but the the Hummer H2 has only 87, one foot fewer then the Explorer. (hey, you can't blame me for looking.) How did AM manage to build a vehicle the size of the Queen Mary out of a Tahoe chassis and still make the interior smaller then an Explorer? @%#$*&! time to go to bed and chill out, this is REALLY annoying me.

Hi BM,

I'm following your dilema with much interest. The bottom line is that the suv market is segmenting into "car" based and "truck" based. The car based being replacements for the minivan and family wagon. The truck based are also becoming more civilized and luxury oriented, but staying a truck as we know it. The AWD types, with a viscus or fluid coupling are all that's required for safety on road. They work automatically, and do not negatively effect fuel mileage. They can be used on the beach with caution. The problem is that in offroad conditions, they build up heat, and can fail. The bulky 2 speed transfer case is becoming a dinosaur, in favor of weight savings and fuel economy. Notice though the popularity of the super duty or heavy duty type trucks now. Real trucks, big engines, solid axles (Ford & Dodge), full frames, etc. This I believe will be the future if you want a real 4x4, and not an awd car. The automakers make huge profits on suv's. The cheaper they can make them, the more profitable they are. So, it's best to base them on the car platforms, and combine the volumes.

FYI - I'm now looking at the dakota quad cab as my next sand sled. Smaller, but still full frame, solid axles, real transfer case, etc.

Stu

Toyota Tacoma is the only one, I believe that comes with a TRUE locking diff. Where the rear axles are locked together at the push of a button. I was very annoyed with my Chevy dealership, when I bought my new Silverado. I paid for what they advertised as a locking differential as an option. I didn't read the specifics on it, and found out later that it was actually a limited slip differential. But because it will eventually lock, it can be called a locking dif.

To me a locking differential means, like what Tacoma has. I would have saved the cash for the dealer and spent a little more to install a Detroit Locker myself. This way the axels are always locked, no slipping allowed, but it still allows for turning.

That H2 looks like a real POS. I checked out a friends. They tried to give it that same boxey, body style of the H1 to impress all the wannabes that can't afford the original. None of the cool features that make the original so great, independant suspension all around, with the tranny tucked up inside (which is why it had that look), auto inflate/deflate tires. My buddy told me he could have got an onboard compressor as an option, but it was the same deal as anyone else gets with the Not-So-Quick-Air under the hood. Now all it is, is another overpriced SUV that will never see a dirt road anyway.

my dream vehicle a Quigley van.what do they run theese days.

If you have to ask you can't afford it biggrin.gif

You REALLY don't wanna know what I got into mine....but for a truck that will carry 4000 lbs and tow a 8k trailer and will still drive over an Excursion....well money is no object cwm24.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

banana.gif

My wife says I never listen to her...or something like that.

Well, I haven't looked hard at the auto market since I bought the '93 (new). It's surprising to see how things have evolved. I infer that the "4WD" edition of the Explorer also uses a limited slip differential, for what they now denote to be "4WD" in the first place.

My QX4 has a locking center diff and limited slip in the rear. It also has high and low ranges. I would think the Pathfinder would have the same.

There are other posts along these lines and the comments are right on, IMO. It occurs to me that so few SUV's are ever going to leave the pavement, that the warranty repairs on the few that do won't come close to the savings the auto manufacturers will capture by making them out of cars.

Buy a truck!

My Land Cruiser also has locking differentials, center and rear. You can still pick them up coming off of lease with bumper to bumper in the 35k range....not a bad deal.....

AnthonyT

I never liked SUV always said they were over sized cars and each year they are getting more and more car like.Locking diffs you wont see on any suv or truck unless their selectable wich is good.Lockers are not good on slippery roads will want to slide side ways thats why these selectable lockers are great. Ox makes a cable one and ARB makes a air one. If you want a locker they are easy to come by depending on the rear you have. A cheap one that works good is a lock right made by Powertrax. Or one of the greatest lockers the detroit locker wich they have different ones some arnt as noisy and are more street friendly. Or you could get a spool or weld your spider gears but only if your only looking to off road mostly.The jeep Rubicon comes with lockers front and back but they are new for 2003 and only in the rubicon.Lockers are great but not realy needed in beach driving.To me the bigger trucks and the jeep is the only way to go. And i believe jeeps are realy not that great from the factory but you can build them up to be unstopable. Look at todays car like suv compared to the older blazers and broncos.Back then they built them just like they built trucks.Today they build them more like a car and i beleive the truck way will last alot longer than anything build to be more like a car.Them big old trannys and transfer cases are heavy for a reason heavy duty built to take a licken.I hate to see vehicles 10 years from now big plastic things. But dont listen to any thing I say i dont know what im talking about.

my f250 came auto locking, then my mech. asked me if I was going to plow with it, I said no, he said yes u are ???. he then told me ford would replace them with manu. locking for free, parts and labor. I love my mech.

The Jeep Rubicon is probably the best toy dodge had in a long time specs are awesome.Im thinkin about gettin one,all the tricks Now if they had a disel or hemi???

If the LandCruiser is out of your range still(as it is mine) take a look into a mid to late '90's Montero SR. Locking center AND rear differentials at the push of a button. Long inside to sleep and store, and for some reason no resale value, so they can be had for cheap. Hoping to own one when my little old 2-DR Monte gives up the ghost.

------------------