Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pumpdogs

assategue weather

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I am looking to drive down this week but I am worried about the weather.We went down in the july and the surf was unfishable due to the wind.What is the best web site to find out current conditions for this week.

there is a marine weather station on the radio its noaa, i belive , my player has a button on it for the weather on the east coast an chesapeake bay from del to NC .try noaa search i have used it for a lot of years an there change on wind direction an tides an swells , have been right on , i have headed for the beach with a westerly wind knowing it was going to change buy there report an figured it usly changes with the tide , black flies an bugs where chasen ppl off the beach as i was going on. got to my spot an the wind changed , was like i was the only one on the beach , GREAT

beers.gif ....cwm40.gif ...kooky.gif

Should I be looking for under 10mph to hold bottom?The last time we we;re there shark fishing even with 8 ounce weight the line would shoot straight for the shore line as soon as it hit the water.

View PostShould I be looking for under 10mph to hold bottom?

No, 10 mph is a nice, gentle breeze. Takes a sustained wind over several days or a storm to set up a current such that you have trouble holding bottom. When you're having trouble holding sometimes you can move N or S and find some calmer water. And sometimes ya gotta use 10 or 12 oz. If 12 don't hold I'm goin' home. Easier to hold with smaller baits...sometimes ya gotta use a small chunk when you really wanna big ol' bloody head out there. And mono will hold better than braid. And the thinner the line the better it will hold.

Walk your baits down. What I mean is go up current and make your cast. You'll be surprised how much current 8nbait will handle if you give it a chance to drift down the beach a bit.

How far you have to walk up the beach to get your bait to settle straight out in front of you depends on the current. Sometimes only a few yards, but maybe as much as 30 or 40.