Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

Tip of the Week - August 3rd

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

This week's tip comes from SOL member GneissFish;

all the talk of spilling glues reminded me of something I do. I don't usually spill a whole bottle, but I do get a bunch of drips and I'll often put a bodkin down on the desk that I just used to smear epoxy. To avoid creating an unsightly mess I lay out one of those enormous desk-top calendars on my tying station. When it gets covered in goop or is shreaded from razor cuts I just tear off January and start fresh in February. I guess you could use it as an actual calendar, too. I bought mine later in the year from Staples at a good discount, so I don't bother using it as it was intended. As a bonus, I can write notes or sketch directly on my desk surface. Also, I find that the white background created by the calendar is easy on the eyes and allows for better color recognition than most wood surfaces. Tonight I just tore off June 2008. The thing will last forever.

Thanks for the tip smile.gif .

If you have a tip to share for the tip of the week please PM me. We can all learn from your knowledge.

Alan

I once watched a tier at the International Fly Tiers Symposium in Somerset, NJ do somethng truly unique with his glue bottle. It was crazy glue actually, and he had placed a small piece of velcro on the bottom of it, the other somewhere on the table. I imagine it worked out well in that setting, but I never found it applicable on my tying table.

Glad to see the tips are still flowing and Gilbey is still posting them.