Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassinJ

7 1/2inch Sluggos

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey, just bought a pack of these and wanted to find out how you guys fish them. Can I put a 7/0 hook in them, and work them steve mckenna style like you would with a 9inch? Or what other ways work best for you with this smaller bait?

Also, I am wondering whether or not I should fish them on a 3/4oz point jude wobblehead, seeing as I've been missing alot of strikes, I know the wobblehead would only take up 1/2inch of the bait. Do you think a 26-27inch fish can devour 7 1/2inches in a single bite? Because thats the only way I see myself hooking up. Schoolies are always fun to catch... Maybe I'll try rigging a secondary hook in the rear before I put it on the wobblehead.

All in all whats your styles of fishing this smaller sluggo? Thanks!

View Postput a 5/0 siwash hook on the back of a swimming plug and slap that sucker on there

What type of swimming plug? Any specifics? Wouldn't that make the bait like 14inches in Length?

Also, I'll be fishing out front off of jetties/beach if that means anything.

I fish predominately 9" Sluggos, bass from ~24" on up have no problem sucking them in. My son uses the off set hook that comes with them, I only use a worm hook and hook them in the head. We catch just as many fish each way but the way I rig them the Sluggo lasts much longer. For some reason, the 7&1/2" Sluggo doesn't move well hooked my way, the 9" move great.

If I rig a 7 1/2inch Sluggo on a 3/4oz Point Jude Wobblehead, and use a second hook facing downward in the rear of the sluggo, would this effect the action in a negative way, or is there any cons to it other then being less snag proof?

View PostHey, just bought a pack of these and wanted to find out how you guys fish them. Can I put a 7/0 hook in them, and work them steve mckenna style like you would with a 9inch? Or what other ways work best for you with this smaller bait?

Thats how i fish them! 7/0 oshaunnesy Hook and weight them the way McKenna weights them. Most of the fish suck the whole thing in anyway.

View PostIf I rig a 7 1/2inch Sluggo on a 3/4oz Point Jude Wobblehead, and use a second hook facing downward in the rear of the sluggo, would this effect the action in a negative way, or is there any cons to it other then being less snag proof?
There was a good SOL thread on wobbleheads and sluggos, try that. The .75 oz wobble is perfect with a 9" rigged McKenna style. I find the tail hook unnecessary on the 7.5". I put a bigger hook on the rigging eye.

Is a 7.5" to big for a schoolie? I had a school bass inhale the 12" the other night. You likely will not intimidate a bass with big baits.

Let me tell you something....the 1.5 oz Pt. Jude wobblehead on a 7.5 inch sluggo worked wonders yesterday in the wash. I use the 1.5 oz on all my 9 inch sluggos and the 3/4 oz on the 7.5..........but i needed a little extra weight on the 7.5 snakes......BAM---those things casted and swam BEAUTIFULLY !!

I prefer casting and a faster retrieve without lead or wobbleheads, but I guess it would depend more on where you were fishing.

I like 7/0 offset worm hooks for 7 inch baits and 11/0 for 9 or 10 inch baits. Hogy now has an outstanding weighted smimbait hook that is worth checking out too.

Good Lucksmile.gif