Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayDag1128

Nightime Tactics

11 posts in this topic

Passiton's Nightime bassin thread got me wanting to do some, have a couple questions though. What are the nightime tendencies of bass? If the bass are down deep all day because of the hot sun are they going to come into the shallows come nightime. Ultimaltley i just want to know if i should fish the same areas at night i fish during the day? Also I know a couple spots at one lake in particular that theres always baitfish and sunnies during the day im guessing this will be a good spot to try at night. Thanks guys.

I almost always fish close to the shore in skinny water at night. I'll target spots I know to have deeper holes with shallows around them, points with some dropoffs, places that have some rocks and/or structure. I rarely ever go to deep waters because LM have a tendency to move to shallower waters during the night. Target any areas that have some ambient light or obvious shadow lines. However, I have had success in very dark areas where I have to cast by feel and guess the distance where the shoreline might be.

This is more of a feel fishing than sight fishing, for sure. It takes some getting used to this type of true blind fishing.

Geofft has it down pretty good .. Keep at it and it will improve you game in all fields especially topwater fishing . I myslef prefer the areas that are the darkest .. Dont have to worry about spooking the fish much by throwing shadows .

Walk soft and pay very close attention to everything . Big Black rubber worms have treated me well wink.gif Also if you hear a crash throw past the area and work through it wink.gif

Good luck !

Of course, I should point out that the tips I subscribe to are from boat. Sorry for the confusion.

I concur with Thomas in regards to bait - big dark rubber worms; rubber craws, lizard and tubes should also draw interest. All crawled or retrieved very slowly.

Top water could work under the moonlight. Supposedly, rubber black mice work well, especially in areas where there's weed on the surface but I tried it only a couple times without success. I just got those rage toads from Strike King. I wonder if they'll work at night?

There are many good reasons to fish at night. The fish are less wary, you don't get sunburned, and there are fewer people using the water. Disadvantages are bugs and the need to pay closer atttention to other boats.

Any lure you would use in daytime will work at night, but you should err on the side of black and white/silver, preferably black, and use colors with less contrast as a last resort. The three primary night baits are black topwaters, larger black worms and other soft plastics (purple for a switchup), and black spinnerbaits with silver colorado blades. Learning how to fish a worm in the dark will improve your daytime worming, because you have to learn to detect bites without seeing the line move.

View PostThanks for the help guys, now i just need it to stop raining and the water o clear up a bit.

Uh uh, the bite tonight was great. I kicked ass for an hour with aStrikeking buzzbait, fishing just below the surface. I went 3 for 7, losing a few as I tried to get them through the reeds at the edge and a few more as they danced up top and threw the hook with some awesome headshaking action.

I've been doing well in general fishing the shallows, especially along the line of weed beds and reeds.

I've been having some luck in a location using Zooms tubes on Gama's tapered jig heads. Was wondering if any of the guys having/had luck recycling the sunfish and panfish caught and live lining back to mama bass. I'm sure people have. Just curious, tried last nite but lost intrest when I couldn't see the bobber any longer. I've decided to try again tonite with neon battery powered. Used to kill SB with this technique on live river herring, was alot of fun 'till the man said NO. Anyways I've enjoyed the thread, hoping to score tonite with this method. Let ya know how the experiment works.cwm40.gif

Thought I'd at least post the Tube fish. It's my personal best in this particular location. It was a great battle on ultra light setup, two magnificant jumps with huge splashes and then a tugowar in the weeds on 8# test. Flycwm27.gif

View PostThought I'd at least post the Tube fish. It's my personal best in this particular location. It was a great battle on ultra light setup, two magnificant jumps with huge splashes and then a tugowar in the weeds on 8# test. Flycwm27.gif

Nice bucketmouth!