Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CenturyFisher

Stripers at Stellwagon

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

so what do you do if you catch one at the race and have to run back to Plymouth or Green Harbor, I think there is a line that you have to stay inside of for cape cod bay, because it would be a ridiculously long ride home of you had to stay 3 miles from the coast the whole way

View Postso what do you do if you catch one at the race and have to run back to Plymouth or Green Harbor, I think there is a line that you have to stay inside of for cape cod bay, because it would be a ridiculously long ride home of you had to stay 3 miles from the coast the whole way

You have to go around, it is illegal to possess or target Striped Bass in the EEZ. There is only one exception and that is Block Island sound. In BIS you can only traverse with fish, you can not target them.

look at a chart and you will see the 3 mile line on it. all of ccb is inside the line and is fine to fish and travel w/ fish. the line cuts from above race pt to east of scituate

I was boarded this week by the environmental police at the SW corner. They are looking for people fishing for and keeping striped bass. You can't target Bass in federal waters. They said anyone traveling through federal water with a Bass will be busted. It seem like they are in force this year more than last.

just looked at my charts...

there is a triangle of the earth's water that is beyond the 3 mile mark...

the triangle is from the cape to Martha's Vineyard to Nantucket...

you can't tell me people aren't traversing these waters with stripers...

and anyone going from Block Island back to Mass passes the 3 mile mark...

i would think that Stellwagon Bank falls under some preserve statutes...

not a 3 mile mark situation...but i will be asking around...

View PostI was boarded this week by the environmental police at the SW corner. They are looking for people fishing for and keeping striped bass. You can't target Bass in federal waters. They said anyone traveling through federal water with a Bass will be busted. It seem like they are in force this year more than last.

highfive.gif

Just like the one mile dead zone between monomoy pt. and nantucket...the coasties like to sit in it and wait for charter boats heading back to either harwich or chatham and naill them with fish on board.I know of one charterboat has been stopped three times for having the customers catch of bass on the boat.The fines don't stop them from getting to better fishing grounds and back.