Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bass stalker

New penn reel

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Rumor has it that Penn is about to release another sand and surf spinning reel no less to challenge the quality of some other well known reels for the selling price of $600. That can go under water true or false.

View PostRumor has it that Penn is about to release another sand and surf spinning reel no less to challenge the quality of some other well known reels for the selling price of $600. That can go under water true or false.

Will it be a surf iteration of their new offshore spinner, the Torque?

I might have read, in so many words, that Penn would make a surf version of the Torque if the Torque offshore spinner turned out to be a success.

View PostYou must be talking about the Penn Torque.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...ght=penn+icast

I thought that at first, but figured he knew about the offshore Torque and was referring to a surf version of it, the version I may have read about :

Will it be a surf iteration of their new offshore spinner, the Torque?

I might have read, in so many words, that Penn would make a surf version of the Torque if the Torque offshore spinner turned out to be a success.

I still haven't heard anymore about that. Thus far I've only seen European models being mistaken for something in the works for a US intoduction. Maybe someone with some inside info will chime in for a definitive yes or no. I think that to pull enough of the market away from VS or ZB, it would have to be farther south of $600 and have a long cast spool design.

There are 20 threads on this. The reel is real. It is coming out this fall. It was shown at Icast a few weeks ago. It was designed as a boat jigging reel, but Awesome John and others convinced them to include a couple of surf friendly features. They claim it is sealed water tight. There will be a bail-less kit. Nobody outside the Penn cone of silence has tested it yet. People will start torturing them this fall and we'll see what warts it has, if any.

Its going to be $650ish and does not have a long cast spool, BTW.

View PostThere are 20 threads on this. The reel is real. It is coming out this fall. It was shown at Icast a few weeks ago. It was designed as a boat jigging reel, but Awesome John and others convinced them to include a couple of surf friendly features. They claim it is sealed water tight. There will be a bail-less kit. Nobody outside the Penn cone of silence has tested it yet. People will start torturing them this fall and we'll see what warts it has, if any.

Its going to be $650ish and does not have a long cast spool, BTW.

I don't remember it being "sealed water tight" from what might have been a press release or something. It said something in regards to being sealed to keep the sand and junk out, far different than being sealed for water. Would like to see something definitive from penn on that subject.

View PostI don't remember it being "sealed water tight" from what might have been a press release or something. It said something in regards to being sealed to keep the sand and junk out, far different than being sealed for water. Would like to see something definitive from penn on that subject.

From the looks of the pics in the other threads I would say it's almost certainly completely sealed.

View PostFrom the looks of the pics in the other threads I would say it's almost certainly completely sealed.
Looks like there's a whitish gasket beween the side cover plate and the body. That whitishness could be raw aluminum, a machined surface.

Eeeeeh. Much ado about advertisements. Tell me how it performs after a year in the surf. THAT will be worth knowing - not what the ads say, or the PR releases, or how the prototypes perform.

View PostLooks like there's a whitish gasket beween the side cover plate and the body. That whitishness could be raw aluminum, a machined surface.

Attachment 264965

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like the side plate is the entire piece from the surface where the screws are all the way back to the body, a pretty thick piece.

I think the white area may just be a be a decorative chamfer machined or ground on to the outside of the side plate.

Hard to tell, on one of the black reels in the thread where you got that pic that's what it looks like.

View PostI could be wrong, but it looks to me like the side plate is the entire piece from the surface where the screws are all the way back to the body, a pretty thick piece.

I think the white area may just be a be a decorative chamfer machined or ground on to the outside of the side plate.

Hard to tell, on one of the black reels in the thread where you got that pic that's what it looks like.

Just noticed a hairline joint where the thick side plate mates up with the body.

I have to agree with you.

View PostEeeeeh. Much ado about advertisements. Tell me how it performs after a year in the surf. THAT will be worth knowing - not what the ads say, or the PR releases, or how the prototypes perform.

To paraphrase HPD's recent words: The proof is in the fishing.