Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stripercrazy

largemouth fly for the nastiest pads, is there one

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

just wondering what anyone ties for the pads kinda like a snagproof frog...I've tried a few frog poppers and swimmers with the deerhair and mono weedguard....there snaging upmad.gif does anyone tie something for slopfishingcwm27.gif thanks ed

All I do is tie a stiff #30 weedguard to all my poppers and tuff it out.I do find that gurglers come through the pads better than most poppers.For subsurface nothing beats a bendback streamer though.

BobPop, ties a variation of his Siliclone to be weedless. I believe I read that he made it specifically for targeting pike in heavy cover. You can gooogle him or I will try to explain if he doesnt answer this post.

A Gulley Worm, or Perpetrator might work too. The foam poppers, or deer hair poppers are probably the very best. Bendbacks for weeds are good as mentioned for subsurface...I agree with that. Dahlberg Divers or a slider might be awesome for in front of the pads.

I would throw a Hells Bay Hopper and tie in a weed guard (but it probably won't be necessary as this fly rides hook up) if you feel the need. This fly was designed for the thick stuff!

Bob Pop's Weedless Siliclone is, without a doubt, the most snag free fly I've ever tried. You can also incorporate the silicone weed guard into bend back flies.

thanks for the replysbiggrin.gif pads drove me nuts againcwm27.gif going to try at night with the swimming frogs and largemouth poppers..I'm differently learning to spin hair this winter..I've made a mouse or two years agocwm27.gif only a month left and its back to saltwaterbiggrin.gif

There is a fly from Canada that is called a KDM rat, this flies is basically an inverted deer hair mouse wiht a small piece of lead sheet epoxied to the bottom to make the fly fish with the hook point up. I found a decent link on a google search will give you a really good idea as to where to go with it.

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuk...howpage&pid=86

Steve

that a cool flybiggrin.gif great hook mod.....I was thinking of spinning bucktail on a peise of tig wire like we use in plugbuilding.then tie it to the hook so the points in the middle..spin the foward 1/2 of the body on the hook then trim the body so the hooks in the bucktail body.....and try to drive the hook into the fish with a 10wt echo ...50 pound leadercwm27.gif like a snagproof frogbiggrin.gif thanks again lead skidplate...cool

I tie one called the Dhalberg megaslop slider.

It is tied & looks alot like the KDM rat, but without the skid plate & the rear bucktail is tied around the hook, not left & right like a pair of legs. If you want to really get crazy, tie it with a mono weedguard loop.

Larry

Something I just realized afterr reading my post again you can actually use aluminum (beer cans) and just a touch extra epoxy and it will still turn over the lead is used to weight the fly so it will flip over and make it slide easily over the weeds, if you use a bit more epoxy and sluminum it will do the same thingjust make sure the bottom of that fly is smooth as glass.

LAR43, I would LOVE to see a few pictures of the fly you are talking about since some of my bass are getting wise to my rat. I neeed to find something new to throw at them, and about 80% of the water I fish is soooooooooo choked with grass that I have to have somehting that will slide through as well as my belly boat so that I can get through the weeds.

P4180238.jpgThis one has a 40lb mono weedguard and rides over the pads. You must however give the bass a count of one thoussand one, one thousand two. before you set the hook.

Fred