Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaldsk

Lower Matecumbe islamorada

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

going down for a week at the end of october with the lady friend. We'll be doing some normal tourist/vacation type stuff but I'll be booking a guide to go out with (looking for flats or back country ... i think)and will also be bringing down some gear to do some fishign on my own, ive been researching a bit about wade fishing some of the local flats and fishing near some of the bridges and such.

anybody have any suggestions on what to look for in terms of targeting species that time of year inshore? or equipment? Im game to try to hook anything, im not necesarily out there to try to stalk bones for days or anything, jacks and barracudas will suit me just fine! also for the guided trip is basically the same, i was thinking some type of light tackle, my lady will be there and doesnt fish so i would prefer target a more readily available species where we have a better chance of catching multiple fish.

Go back north onto the other rock, a mile or two north in Tavineer is Harry Haris park on the ocean side, there are signs. They charge non residents to use the park on weekends. To the left (north side of park) there is a nice big flat. One time I had a 5' eagle ray go between me and the shore. Good luck and good fishing. In the winter I have more on site info.

Peace

I haven't been down in a few years so I'm a little out of the loop but I'll do my best.. If you are happy with a few cuda, they are everywhere. anything shiny or florescent worked fast will catch them. Get some live shrimp and fish the bridges at night. You'll get anything from snook,tarpon and snapper. Just make sure you have a strategy planned on how and where you will land a big fish if you get lucky. The guide is a great idea but also look at the party boats in the area. Good luck!

And make sure you go to Robbies marina and hand feed the huge tarpon!

thanks guys,

i havent looked at the party boats too much but that could be fun too!

and the lady even found the hand feeding of the tarpon and suggested it on her own! lucky me !

You might think about a trip across FL bay from Islamorada to East Cape - especially if you are with your lady.

Am leaving tomorrow am with my daughter for the day. It's about an hour 45 min from Islamorada on a skiff. About 20 miles of sand beach, great for shells, snook in the surf, rarely anyone there. Lots of fish en route. Should be a calm day with good weather forcast, however.

We are going with a buddy of mine, Capt. David Applegate, who is a licensed guide out of Islamorada. We went out for a few hours yesterday and she caught 4 species out of one mud between her water skiing, ladyfish, trout, bonnet shark and a frigging catfish.

Just a thought. She will undoubtedly be taking pics tomorrow if you are interested.

There are plenty of species available here year round on both fly and spinning gear ocean and bayside.

There is another pretty neat place to feed tarpon oceanside in Key Largo. Snappers Restaurant at about Mile Marker 94 or thereabouts. The bartender on the dock has the tarpon eats.

The human food ain't too shabby either.

Cheers,

Jim

I lived on Lower Matecumbe for a while, some sweet spots for the shore bound fisherman within a few minutes drive. Long Key State Park is my favorite, miles of flats to wade and easy access. The Highway Flat on Lower Matecumbe (you'll know it when you see it) can hold bones, but it's fished pretty hard. Craig Key oceanside, slog through the mud to get to the hard outer flat, or fish the walls for barracuda. Bayside, work the shorelines around the two estates. Probably the wrong season for tarpon, but there's always a few around at the bridges. A light spinning rod and a bucket of shrimp will catch just about everything that swims inshore.

View PostYou might think about a trip across FL bay from Islamorada to East Cape - especially if you are with your lady.

Am leaving tomorrow am with my daughter for the day. It's about an hour 45 min from Islamorada on a skiff. About 20 miles of sand beach, great for shells, snook in the surf, rarely anyone there. Lots of fish en route. Should be a calm day with good weather forcast, however.

We are going with a buddy of mine, Capt. David Applegate, who is a licensed guide out of Islamorada. We went out for a few hours yesterday and she caught 4 species out of one mud between her water skiing, ladyfish, trout, bonnet shark and a frigging catfish.

Just a thought. She will undoubtedly be taking pics tomorrow if you are interested.

There are plenty of species available here year round on both fly and spinning gear ocean and bayside.

There is another pretty neat place to feed tarpon oceanside in Key Largo. Snappers Restaurant at about Mile Marker 94 or thereabouts. The bartender on the dock has the tarpon eats.

The human food ain't too shabby either.

Cheers,

Jim

And a grouper sandwich that will make your knees weak wink.gif