Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nikoli

Frustrating.

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

I have been fishing the past 3 nights. I can see the fish tailing and here them gulping/slurping bait. I cannot buy a hit or a fish. I have tried everything in my fly box. I have tried stripping slow and stripping fast. The bait is really small and inch or less and light in color. I can't seem to figure these fish out. If any body has any suggestion I am all ears. I am fishing with a intermediate line with a 6 feet of floro for a leader.

Lucky! Have you tried a floating line and a floating fly? Maybe a floating fly that's a bit bigger than the naturals or a similar sized fly under a float. Also could try a two fly rig: a gurgler + a fly to match the hatch.

can we see a picture of the smallest fly you are feeding these fish? How long is it? Stripers in my opinion can be THE MOST size specific of all the game fish we fish for........

HC

If thse fish are Tailing they are taking bait off the bottom. So I would suggest you use a sinking line and short 1 to 2 foot leader and twitch your fly along the bottom. It must stay on the bottom to have any chance of a take. If they are taking midwater then try a prsentation with no retrieve at all. Just let them suck it in and strike when the line moves off.

Ok somedays they will beat you hands down. They do it to all of us. Then I suggest you raise your cap salute them and go for a quite pint and put your feet up. It's all part of the game we play.

Mike

Mike,

I think from the description that the fish are "finning". I had that on multiple nights on Martha's Vineyard. Even tried live eels the next night (I did that back thenredface.gif ) to no avail.

Herb

Nikoli,

Where are you fishing? There's been a big clam worm hatch here in NJ. Could it be that they're feeding on those? If so, good luck with anything other than a worm imitation.

Best regards,

Irv

View PostIf thse fish are Tailing they are taking bait off the bottom. So I would suggest you use a sinking line and short 1 to 2 foot leader and twitch your fly along the bottom. It must stay on the bottom to have any chance of a take. If they are taking midwater then try a prsentation with no retrieve at all. Just let them suck it in and strike when the line moves off.

Ok somedays they will beat you hands down. They do it to all of us. Then I suggest you raise your cap salute them and go for a quite pint and put your feet up. It's all part of the game we play.

Mike

beers.gif Arf & Arf!

Frustration make's us all coming back!

I think we could use more information to help you better. Where are you fishing? Not the specific location, but what state and what type of water? What time? What tide? All these things will help us help you.

Worms or grass shrimp in the surface film are my initial thoughts though.

Fish on small bait, most ANY fish on small bait whether it be a 30 pound bass eating 1/2" grass shrimp or a 3 pound rainbow trout sipping #24 tricos are IMHO the most difficult to catch no matter what species.

Alan

Here is what I have tried.

Here is what I have left.

I am fishing on the North Shore of Long Island way up inside a back bay on a falling tide. Mud bottom with high eel grass banks. The fish don't show until about an hour to 2 hours into the ebb. When the tide stops they are gone.

Sounds like they are on top so floating line. Leader should be at least 9' and you may want to consider a dropper to increase chances for an eat. Get a seine and try to examine the bait in order to replicate. You may also want to try a larger attractor pattern. Slow is probably the right retreive speed. Sounds like shrimp, is there an estuary of some sort near?

View PostSounds like they are on top so floating line. Leader should be at least 9' and you may want to consider a dropper to increase chances for an eat. Get a seine and try to examine the bait in order to replicate. You may also want to try a larger attractor pattern. Slow is probably the right retreive speed. Sounds like shrimp, is there an estuary of some sort near?

Yeah, I am fishing a pinch point in the estuary.

+1 on Gilbey's reply.

Think Bonefish flies like a Crazy Charlie, or Gotcha's, maybe small Permit Crab flies. Floating line and long leader. Approach from the side so as not to line the fish.

If you fool a fish in this situation you've done something. Pat yerself on the back.

Looks like you threw everything at them. Just keep on trying. If you do figure something out even if you only get a single fish then that cigar or beer is going to taste real sweet. This is a great situation you have.

Mike

Herb,

I have been in the same place. You might think that they would find a live bait irresistable but no way they pass them by. Go figure I can't. It is part of the fun though, the self doubt the angst , the sense of failure and uselessness. The jokes on us and we have to take it.

Mike